Chapter 20

Pitou

That man should be in the basement office I designated for him...

*Pitou makes their way through the palace, mentally planning the best course of action. As Pitou passes by the throne room, they run into Youpi who is exiting.*

Youpi

"Oh Pitou. The King just summoned you."

Pitou

"Alright, thank you."

*Pitou sighs and walks into the throne room. Meruem is sitting on his throne, tapping his foot impatiently while waiting for Pitou. Pitou kneels in front of the King.*

Meruem

"Be at ease. You've spent an extensive amount of time with Mara recently, I figured you'd know the answer to my question better than I do."

*Pitou stands and waits expectantly for the King to continue.*

"Now that Mara is my Queen, I feel it's necessary to commemorate the occasion somehow. I want to show her that I meant every word of what I told her... I have a feeling she hasn't taken it very seriously."

*Pitou starts to laugh and they shake their head.*

Pitou

"Rest assured, Mara is over the moon about the whole situation. If you want to show her how you feel, you should give her a gift or do something special with her..."

Meruem

"I might not know how to woo a girl, but I'm not that simpleminded Pitou."

Pitou

"Apologies, I did not mean to imply anything."

Meruem

"My real question is, what do you think Mara would like or want?"

*Pitou's eyes light up at this comment, realizing the King might be able to give Mara the most perfect gift.*

Pitou

"Sire, this idea isn't completely concrete... but if it's actually tangible there'd be nothing else Mara would want!"

*Meruem leans forward in his throne, his interest piqued.*

"I had a conversation with Mara earlier... about her past. Quite honestly, I don't know how to put this lightly..."

*Pitou recounts the story of Mara's past to the King. As he listens to Pitou, his heart drops to hear what she has been subjected to in her lifetime. As Pitou continues, Meruem grows angrier on Mara's behalf and by the time Pitou has finished speaking Meruem's bloodlust is uncontrollably flowing from his body.*

Meruem

"I knew humans could be despicable... but this..."

Pitou

"For someone who has gone through such trials and tribulations... she is strong. Strength in a silent way, one that I never could have imagined. She has had every last one of her freedoms ripped from her hands yet can still smile... the girl was forced into obedience! It's... sickening!!"

Meruem

"We're leaving immediately. Bring me to that human we sparred... I will recover her voice if it's the last thing I do!"