Chapter 5

*The next morning, Meruem is sitting in the throne room with Pouf in a corner reading. Pitou and Youpi are both elsewhere guarding the palace.*

Meruem

The human told me I was 'angry' at Pouf when he wouldn't give me a straight answer... but she said I've displayed other emotions too? What else?...

I most definitely haven't shed tears like her... or felt 'sadness' for that matter.

*Meruem sits on his throne, his head propped in the palm of his hand. He stares ahead vacantly, his thoughts consuming him.*

She also talked about 'happiness.' I don't think I've felt that either... conversing with her was pleasant I suppose, although she is just a food source...

Pouf

I can't believe the absurdities going through His Majesty's mind! That stupid human is corrupting him... I've got to do something!

*Pouf abruptly stands, pulling out his violin and beginning to play. Tears dramatically flow down his cheeks as he prances around the room, Meruem not paying much attention to his antics.*

Wait a minute... I have an idea!

"Sire, might I make a suggestion?"

*Pouf composes himself and bows in front of the King.*

Meruem

"Speak."

Pouf

"Well I can see you're looking for a way to kill time before the selection begins. I humbly suggest you try out something called 'board games.' Humans invented different games that all involve skills of strategy and adaptability. Each game has their own respective champion. If you so desire, I can fetch champions for you to play against."

Meruem

"Finally, a viable way to mitigate this endless tedium. Give me the rulebooks and I'll review them while you fetch these champions."

"While you're still here, tell the other two guards they are to convene here now. I'd like to address final preparations for the selection."

Pouf

"Of course Your Highness. I'll bring them immediately."

*Pouf rushes out of the throne room in search of Pitou and Youpi. Once he had alerted both, the three guards make their way to the throne room.

The three enter simultaneously and bow in front of the King.*

Meruem

"As I mentioned previously, this palace has been dubbed the meat plantation. You three are to be in charge of gathering the humans in a nearby city to prepare them for the eventual march over to the palace. We are to use the national holiday as an excuse for cover and to not cause a panic. Once the holiday's date grows closer I'll give more instruction. For now, Pouf you are on duty first. Bring me a champion on your way back. The rest of you are dismissed to your usual posts."

"No one is to disturb me unless I call for them!"

Royal Guards

"Yes Your Highness."

*The three guards disperse, Pouf flying off the grounds to attend to his agenda. Pitou and Youpi both wander around the palace, guarding from various locations.

At the same time, Mara is in the library reading. Sitting on a plush chair under a reading lamp, she has her back to the entrance of the library. When she hears the doors creak open, she turns around to see Peggy approaching her.*