Chapter 10

*Flustered, Mara finishes cleaning the kitchen lost in thought.*

Mara

Although it's nice to have my death sentence revoked, I'd still like to reopen my aura nodes. Everyone here has done so much for me... I'd like to be able to repay their kindness somehow.

*Once finished cleaning, Mara leaves the kitchen and meanders toward the palace's gardens.*

Mara

Hopefully meditation will work... my nodes might open quicker this time around considering they were originally awakened through meditation.

*Mara enjoys her walk to the gardens, savoring a scene she hasn't had the liberty to see much of. She walks through the gardens and winds up in front of a gazebo that's been draped in wisteria, deciding it best to meditate in the shade.*

I suppose I should take some more time to deliberate over when I could've lost my nen... let's see...

I was around five or six when I was taken by the former Supreme Leader. My memory is too muddled to remember much, but he kept ranting and raving about how there was a decree to capture me at any cost... he was always hanging that over my head.

My earlier years in the tower were spent under close watch by the former Supreme Leader and his advisors. He had me educated in all sorts of subjects, including the Four Exercises of Nen Flame. Although he made it clear I was merely a prisoner, I can't understand why I was put through such a rigorous holistic education. He even ensured my aura nodes were opened through meditation... maybe my optimism of escaping was at its peak back then and I trained with that idea in mind? As time dwindled by my hope faded, subsequently closing my nodes?...

*Frustrated, Mara opens her eyes and stares at the gazebo's ceiling, taking a deep breath before resuming her meditative stance.*

This is harder than I imagined... I can't bear to relive my life! I still don't think my hopes or aspirations were the problem though... I was able to use nen a couple years later when I took cooking lessons. I miss my herb garden... I wouldn't be surprised if my nen abilities were the product of the attachment I held towards those plants... almost like my only companions in that desolate room. It still hurts to think the former Supreme Leader killed them all when he critiqued my cooking...

The last thing I can think of is the evening of my thirteenth birthday... the night the strange man took my voice. He was directed by one the advisors... the man with the bushy eyebrows... but why? I can't remember much from that night... and whether or not it was a motivated attack. All I remember is the former Supreme Leader forcing himself on me... he enjoyed my silent screams...

It's safe to assume my emotions greatly influence the flow of my aura... but I still can't pinpoint exactly what it was that closed them... Maybe the loneliness I experienced? The boredom? The assault? At this point I'm better off assuming the accumulation of all these events deteriorated my mind without me taking any notice... I always preoccupied myself with trivial hobbies.

*Mara's breathing becomes uneven and she hastily opens her eyes. Patting her face, she tries to steady her mind. She watches as her hands shake and she tries to calm herself down by counting the flowers around her.*

I can't think about this anymore! I'll just assume a meditative stance and hope for the best... I have to be optimistic! After all my situation has somewhat improved... I'm no longer alone...

*Once she successfully settled herself down, Mara decides to stay and meditate until sunset. Completely engrossed in her endeavors, time passes quickly and by dusk half of her aura nodes have reopened.*