Chapter 9

*Mara looks over to her side, silently laughing at Meruem's confused face.*

Mara

I'm being facetious, please don't take me literally! Thank for the compliment though Cheetu.

Cheetu

"No problem... but there's definitely something in this, it doesn't taste like the human food I remember."

*Mara's smile quickly fades as she mistakes Cheetu's compliment for an insult. Cheetu notices her change in demeanor and quickly back tracks.*

"Ah! Not in a bad way or anything... I guess what I'm trying to get at is that your food tastes and feels different than how I remember human food. I can't quite place the sensation but it's definitely not a bad thing, it's really good!!"

Meruem

"I concur... The sensation feels like this cooking has nen imbued into it."

*Cheetu nods his head vigorously.*

Cheetu

"Yeah, yeah exactly! That's what I'm trying to say!"

*Mara looks back and forth between the two, her eyes going wide with revelation.*

Mara

Is my nen resurfacing?... or perhaps manifesting itself differently?... has it even disappeared to begin with?!

You two are praising me highly, I'm not deserving of it... although I thank you both anyways.

If my nen truly is manifesting I should find Pitou and tell them about this... I'd rather not get more attached to this new life.

*Mara feigns a smile and begins to clean.*

Cheetu

"Thanks for dinner Mara, I'm turning in for the night!"

*Cheetu bows to the King before leaving. Meruem stays sat at the counter, watching Mara's back in silence.*

Meruem

If her nen is truly re-emerging, I'll have to kill her...

*Preoccupied with his internal conflict, Meruem doesn't notice Mara had finished cleaning. She gently shakes his shoulder to grab his attention, her board held up with her free hand.*

Mara

Goodnight, Your Majesty.

*Mara turns to leave the kitchen, not bothering with the formality of bowing. Meruem watches her as she leaves, still occupying his seat at the counter.*

Meruem

That unwillingness to conform to the hierarchy here... her presumptuous curiosity and confusing emotions... why can't I do it? Why can't I bring myself to kill an ordinary human?!

*Frustrated by his muddled mind, Meruem shuts himself in the throne room for the night.*

~•~•~• The next morning ~•~•~

*Pitou spent the early morning in the library, surrounded by every book they could find detailing the complexities of nen.*

Pitou

It's been a week now... I've gathered plenty of options to try out on the girl, I just hope my efforts will bear fruit!

*Pitou leaves to find Mara, their en easily locating her in her designated room. As Pitou makes their way through the palace, Mara is busy preparing herself to face Pitou.*