Chapter 7

*Mara sits next to the King as he continues his match. She watches the two play, not entirely sure who was winning. From his peripheral vision, Meruem takes notice of Mara's attentiveness and decides to try and show off. Soon after he emerges victorious.*

Player

"Please, have mercy! I'm sick! Yeah, I'm sick! I can't play my best under such conditions!!"

*Mara looks at the King expectantly, waiting for him to make his decision.*

Meruem

I shouldn't kill this human while she's here...

"Pouf. Take this blabbering idiot and dispose of him elsewhere. Have Youpi or Pitou bring me the next champion and assume their post in their absence."

Pouf

Your Majesty! Why are you considering the feelings of a lowly human girl!?

*Pouf bows in recognition, hiding his visible frown. Once he has left the throne room, Meruem turns to face Mara.*

Meruem

"I finished the book you gave me last night. The ending was dissatisfying, although that's an understatement."

*Mara tilts her head, slightly disappointed to hear he didn't enjoy the book she recommended.*

Mara

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it... but I see where you're coming from. From an outside perspective it's hard to imagine that two people who just met would go to such extreme lengths to be together.

This is merely my interpretation, but what I thought Shakespeare was trying to portray was more the concept that love is a product of fate. In Romeo and Juliet's case, their love was also hindered by fate... quite the tragedy!

Meruem

"When Friar Laurence discovers that Friar John had been quarantined and never delivered the news that Juliet was alive to Romeo... is that what you're talking about?"

*Mara nods enthusiastically and smiles.*

Mara

Exactly! That part in particular was hard for me to read... fate can truly work in the cruelest of ways.

Meruem

"So you believe in it then? Fate that is."

Mara

I suppose I do. I like to believe that everything happens for a reason, but believing it's predetermined is a bit tragic. It gives me a bit of hypothetical comfort to think I can change my own fate.

It'd be a life of tedium if we had our lives planned for us from the get-go. Making our own choices and acting on our own volition is what makes life worth living... in my opinion at least.

Meruem

But I was chosen to rule... I was BORN to rule!

Mara

What I'm trying to say is that I'd hate to be in the position Romeo and Juliet were put in. Restricting their unrequited love because of a simple family feud must have been incredibly painful.

Despite the discomfort I felt as a reader, I can't help but be captivated by such tragic tropes.

Meruem

"Out of all things, tragedy is what entrances you? That's tragic in and of itself."

*Mara mockingly pouts at Meruem, the sudden change of face taking him off guard.*