Chapter 25

*Intrigued, Mara takes the box and hesitantly opens it. Processing the contents inside, she takes a moment to recognize the contents.

The shock slowly sinking in, Mara can't control her emotions anymore and begins to cry. Meruem watches satisfied with Mara's reaction, knowing well this time around her tears are tears of joy.*

Mara

It can't be... my voice...

How could the King have gotten this? Where could it have been!?

*Quickly realizing Mara has a million questions going through her mind, Meruem speaks up.*

Meruem

"When you mentioned to Pitou that there was an old man with the nen user who stole your voice, they recognized your description as one of the humans we sparred. We were using him as a secretary of international affairs, working in a desolate office in the basement. After Pitou put the pieces together, they informed me and we both went to investigate."

"Allegedly, the man was trying to bid your voice off, but there was an intense bidding war ongoing. Blinded by his own greed, the man sat back and watched the numbers grow day by day. He had no intention of using your voice, he was solely in it for the money..."

Mara

Use... my voice?

*Mara furls her eyebrows in confusion, Meruem quickly taking notice.*

"According to him, there's been a long line of incredible rulers throughout human history. What made it so mysterious was the fact that all these people were born with a yellow eye, just like yours. Although the words of humans were twisted over time to fit their narratives, there are countless stories that these rulers could use just their voice to dominate all. Some were revered as heroes or saints, being able to unite the masses with just their word as a weapon..."

*Mara looks at Meruem in shock, her whole body going weak with the revelation. She grasps the railing, one hand bracing herself and the other over her mouth.*

Mara

Those commands... the experiments... it all makes sense! I never would have thought to read through human history...

Meruem

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I have one pressing question. The former ruler of this palace was in charge of his advisors, including that old man. How come he didn't use your voice? I'm sure a simple advisor wouldn't disobey his orders..."

*Mara takes a moment to compose herself and begins to write.*

Mara

If you haven't surmised by now, the former Supreme Leader was an egotistical bastard- excuse my language.

He incessantly bragged about having an incredible power at the tips of his fingers, but he'd then go on to say he didn't need a 'cheat code' to power since he was already 'above all others' and a 'king amongst kings.'

During my youth, he put me through all sorts of experiments while I could still speak. I'm guessing he wanted to use me not just as his pleasure-thing, but as a weapon as well. If I'm piecing this together correctly, he was probably after the money involved... it was probably a combination of these intents that led to my capture...

*Meruem hums in response, the two silently mulling over their own thoughts.*

Meruem

"Mara, you've already demonstrated that your word is truly your ultimate weapon. You, and yourself alone, can use this power so you should desire. I wanted to return it to you not just as a symbol of my love for you, but as a chance for you to begin living your life to the fullest."