Chapter 8

*Mara leads Meruem into the throne room, briskly walking past the throne to a door directly behind it. She waits for Meruem to approach her side before opening the door, revealing a dimly lit spiral staircase.

Meruem gives Mara a sideways glance as she opens the door, noticing a waver in her demeanor.*

Meruem

"If you're not up to this you truly don't have to bring me up there. I understand the concept well enough that there's no need to push yourself..."

*Mara turns to Meruem, lowering her head to write. Meruem pays great mind to her quivering hands, concern written across his face.*

Mara

I thank you for the concern, but I have my own reasons for coming back here. Call it killing two birds with one stone.

Meruem

Her conviction is admirable, but what could she possibly want in the place she was imprisoned?

"Let me go first."

*Mara nods, stepping aside to make room. She follows Meruem up the staircase, holding up the fabric of her long gown.*

Meruem

What could this girl have done in the same room for so long?

*Once at the top of the staircase, she watches as Meruem opens another door, this time to her room.

Meruem walks in first, taken aback at the scene before him.*

What is all this!?

*He surveys the room, looking up to see the second story creating an indoor balcony in conjunction with the lower floor. He steps aside allowing Mara in, who immediately rushes up to the second floor. He takes his time meandering through the first floor, looking through the kitchenette with its open cookbook, the small dining area, and a desk and bookshelf full of books. Meruem stops in front of the desk and flips through an open sketchbook, shocked at the quality of the drawings in it. Satisfied with his exploration, Meruem follows Mara up to the second story, finding Mara's lower half sticking out from under her bed.*

Meruem

"Mara?!"

*Hearing her name, Mara wriggles herself out, standing up triumphantly. Meruem looks at the small, rectangular object Mara holds in her hands, proudly showing it off. Mara throws herself onto her bed, beckoning Meruem to sit next to her. He obliges and Mara begins writing on her board.*

Mara

When I first met you, I told a lie. There is something in this world I don't want to be rid of... my walkman!

*Mara once again shows off the device, taking Meruem's hand.*

Meruem

What is she doing!?

*With a bit of resistance from Meruem, Mara simply places the walkman in Meruem's hand for him to look at. She continues writing as he holds it in his hand, trying to hold it as delicately as possible.*

Mara

The former 'Supreme Leader'- if you will- gave this to me as my tenth birthday gift. With this device I can play music and hear the voices of others. By entering a cassette tape, I can listen to any song of my choice.

For each of my birthdays, I was given different cassettes. Music is truly a marvelous thing... one of the only things that kept me sane in this solitude.