Chapter 13

Mara

The other two types of love sort of go hand in hand, since friends sometimes become lovers. That being said, family is it's own separate concept, so I'll start there.

Parents, whether they are biological or not, are the people who raise you. I assume it's different for chimera ants, but I'll stick with the human concept. Parental love is broadly characterized by nurture and affection. Many parents would go to extreme lengths for their children without hesitation. Sometimes humans grow up without parental figures and they can spend their life searching for something else to fill that void.

Meruem

My mother died birthing me... Well actually, I killed her. Would she have gone to such lengths for me?

"Who are your parents?"

Mara

I've been in the place for so long I can hardly remember them...

I remember my mother as kind and caring, although I don't recall anything about what my father was like. He traveled a lot, but my mother always reassured us he would visit whenever possible. That's right... I have a twin brother too.

Meruem

"A brother?"

Mara

I was born as one half a set of twins, my brother born minutes before me. We aren't identical though, as far as looks are concerned.

Brothers and sisters are people are born via the same parents, and step-siblings are those who only share blood between one parent. Siblings oftentimes share a special bond since they usually grow up in the same household, although it's common for them to argue incessantly.

*Mara smiles reminiscently and Meruem watches her side as she continues typing.*

My brother was incredibly free-spirited, even before he could talk! He was always quite the trouble-maker, and he dreamed about exploring the dark continent. One day he proclaimed he'd set out on an adventure on his eighteenth birthday, but my mother shut that idea down before he finished uttering the sentence!

*Mara laughs as she recounts her jumbled memories.*

Meruem

I remember my mother speaking of her time on the dark continent while I was in her womb...

*Mara looks over to Meruem who stares intently back at her.*

Mara

Apologies for the anecdote! Anyways, families extend past just fathers, mothers, and siblings. There are grandparents (the parents of your parents), and it could be possible your parents have siblings, who become your aunts and uncles. If they have kids, those are your cousins. Family trees get complex rapidly!

From my knowledge, my family comprised of just my brother and my parents.

Do you have family?

Meruem

"My mother died giving birth. I don't have a father."

Mara

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure she was incredible.

*Meruem nods, waiting for Mara to continue talking.*

Friendships are a bit different than the bonds you share with family. Most familial bonds are built off shared blood or because you were raised by them, but friends are different.