𝚂𝟷𝙴𝟾: 𝙻𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢 𝙽𝚞𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟾

Inspired by Community S1E17: "Physical Education"

Nico POV

Goodbye, khakis and polos! Hello, anything else!

Sometimes, when Nico walks the hallways, he feels like a Hot Topic supermodel in the best way possible. He can finally be himself here at New Rome. He can take whatever classes he wants, join whatever activities he wants, and hang out with whomever he wants.

In fact, the only time he doesn't feel like himself is when Dean D has him wearing something stupid as the school's mascot. He was going to quit a long time ago, but if he commits to the job for an entire year, his books for next semester will be free, and he needs that.

But even when he's parading around in a ridiculous outfit, he still feels more himself than he ever did back home.

Now that he's off on his own at New Rome Community College, Nico's grown out his hair and swapped out his Sunday best for chains, band t-shirts, combat boots, and perhaps most importantly of all, his favorite oversized aviator jacket. It's like a warm hug.

He's rebelled against his upbringing in just about every single way, and he couldn't be happier.

Well, there's one rebellious thing he hasn't gotten around to yet.

"Hey, Nico! Are you coming to GSA tonight?" Will Solace asks.

What a stupid ray of sunshine.

"Yeah, of course!" Nico replies.

Will winks and gives Nico finger guns. "Great! See you there. Oh, I love the safety pin through your mask. Nice touch."

Only someone as sweet as Will Solace would notice something that means so much to Nico.

Sure, it's a stupid safety pin from a package of fifty or so he bought at the CVS, but it's more than that. It's a way of expressing himself. He's never going to be that repressed boy ever again.

And that starts with the coolest class ever. Who would have thought that New Rome offers a billiards class? Nico loves playing pool. He used to sneak out and go to the local gay biker bar and play with his friends. He's going to have fun, kick some ass, and get an easy A in this class.

The pool—sorry, billiards—room has about four tables set up so most of the class can play at once. It also doubles as the weightlifting room, and Nico certainly isn't going to complain about the sweaty shirtless guys.

"Hey, Nico," says Malcolm Pace. "Ready to get schooled in pool?"

"In your dreams." Nico grabs a cue stick and some chalk. Does he know what that chalk cube does?

Does anybody know what that chalk cube does? 

He drops his aviator jacket on a stool, rolls his black and white striped sleeves up to his elbows, and leans over the table, aiming the cue stick at the colorful triangle of resin balls.

Crack!

Malcolm runs around the table, taking note of all the pockets being filled. "Well," he says. "It's safe to say you'll get to go again. Stripes or solids?"

"Solids. I like a challenge," Nico says. He aims at the number six ball and sends it flying into the side pocket.

"Woah," says another student. "Did this guy just aim for the side pocket by choice?"

Malcolm slowly nods.

A small crowd gathers around the table by the time Nico's down to just the eight ball.