𝚂𝟸𝙴𝟹: 𝙲𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝚉𝚎𝚛𝚘 𝙶𝚛𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚝𝚢

Inspired by Community S2E4: "Basic Rocket Science"

Percy POV

Things haven't been awkward at all since Percy and Annabeth had their moment during the paintball game last semester. Who knew all they needed was just to let off a little steam? Well, actually, Piper knew, but she doesn't need to know that anything came of that observation.

Percy isn't exactly known for being a good secret keeper, but he is a loyal friend, and he and Annabeth are friends at the very least now.

Friends that have seen each other naked, sure, but they're friends nonetheless.

And nobody needs to know the details of that friendship—oh, Annabeth looks great today!

"Hey there, Wise Girl," Percy says.

"Shut up." Ah, that's his Wise Girl, chipper as ever. 

"Who brought coffee? Piper brought coffee!" Piper slams a paper tray full of Starbucks cups on the table.

Jason follows suit, passing one cup of coffee to Leo and another to Hazel.

"Oh, that's nice!" Hazel exclaims.

"Thanks, Pipes." Annabeth takes a swig of her coffee, and Percy wonders if it's not hot enough to burn, or if she just doesn't care about a scalding tongue.

He presses the paper cup to his lips; it's a nice contrast to the muggy weather.

"Well, hello! Isn't this lovely! What is this, like a study group or something?"

"Hello, Dean," everyone mumbles.

"I hope you all haven't forgotten about our service hour requirement here at New Rome."

Jason chokes on some coffee. "Our what now?"

"Don't worry, Chase. We've got something available today that'll call for... seven helping hands," Dean D says, counting the members of the study group to be sure.

Percy rolls his eyes. "Okay, then. What's the service project?" he asks.

Annabeth elbows his arm. "Don't entertain him."

"Well, thank you for asking, Peter!" says Dean D. "We're unveiling a mural today made out of Coke bottle caps. I need you all to paint and glue the caps onto the wall on the quad before this afternoon."

That's ridiculous! Percy's in.

"C'mon, it'll be fun, and we'll fulfill a service requirement!" he says when the others start to protest.

Dean D drops a manila envelope next to Percy. "Fantastic. I knew I could count on you, Johnson. I'll see all of you in a bit."

✎✎✎

Leo pulls the zipper on his white jumpsuit all the way up to his neck. "I can't believe you signed us all up for this, man."

"For once, I agree with Leo," Frank mutters as he tears the feet out of his jumpsuit. He's too tall, so his grey Nike sneakers stick out the bottom.

Percy tilts his head upward so he doesn't get his chin caught in the zipper. "It'll be fun though! We're all together filling a service requirement on a project that's kind of cool."

"The volunteer club was taking a bus of people to the nursing home to play board games with senior citizens," Piper says. "I'd like to be there."

Annabeth throws her paintbrush on the ground. "Don't you idiots get it? There is no service hour requirement! This is just Dean D riding my ass again!"