Chapter 30

"Mom, look at this picture

"Mom, look at this picture. Isn't he adorable?" Sooyoung coos, shoving her phone in her mother's face. On the screen is a picture of Sprinkles.

"Yes, but not cute enough for me to want his fur all over my couch."

"Aw.." She pouts dejectedly.

Mrs. Kang takes her cup of tea and brings it with her to the kitchen table. Sooyoung follows and the two women sit across from each other.

"So getting a pet together is a big deal. It's one step away from having a child." Her mother comments, tapping along the rim of her cup with her finger.

Sooyoung scoffs. "Mom, that's a little dramatic, don't you think?"

"No, pets are a lot of responsibility. You have to feed them, clean up after them, keep them happy and healthy. It's something that couples only do when the relationship is getting really serious."

She ends the sentence by bringing the cup to her lips and taking a long sip. The entire time, she gives her daughter a knowing look. It reminds her of a meme she has seen on the internet several times.

The blonde woman sighs. "Mom, I know there's something else you want to say. Just say it."

"Do you love him?"

Sooyoung's jaw drops in surprise. She quickly closes it before letting out a nervous laugh. "No, mom, what are you saying? We're not even there yet. It's too early."

"Sooyoung, honey, I thought I taught you better than to lie to my face." Mrs. Kang rolls her eyes, speaking in a bored tone. "You may be an actress, but you can't fool me."

"I..I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't." She winks, smirking at her daughter.

At the same time, Sooyoung's phone buzzes with a text. She checks it, smiling when she sees who it is.

"Let me guess, it's Jimin?"

"Yes, yes it is." She replies, standing abruptly from the table. "We're going shopping for some cat supplies. See you later, mom."

Sooyoung pecks her mother's cheek, grabs a light jacket and her purse, and then leaves the house. Her face lights up when she sees Jimin waiting outside in his car.

"Hi." Upon entering the car, she greets him with a quick kiss on the lips.

"Hey." Jimin grins at her when she pulls away. "You look really pretty today, baby."

"Thank you." She peers down at her outfit, which consists of a black, long-sleeved crop top and a pair of yellow and black plaid pants.

She did put a little more effort into her outfit today, although she's not too sure why.

"Ready to go?" Jimin asks, grabbing her hand and lacing their fingers together.

"Yeah, let's do it." She smiles.