4

NEXT DAY
I wake up to a text from Nash.

Hey Lily, guess what?

I reply.

What?

Nash: Im telling you now, in case you wonder why there's a random girl in our house next time you come, I should tell you that my mom said that we are adopting!

Me: Cool! From where? Do you know who?

Nash: No, were going to look tomorrow at a place called The House. Cam's coming too.

Me: Oh. Cool. I've gotta go. Bye

Nash: Bye💛

I drop my phone. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm screwed. "GRACE!" I shout.

Grace comes in from the bathroom. "Yeah?" She asks while braiding her hair.

"Major problem. The people I babysit for... are coming here tomorrow. They're adopting someone."

"And that's a problem because...?" Grace asks. I explain to her again that I know their son, that's why I've been gone so much and that he doesn't know that I'm a foster kid.

"Just don't contact him. He'll find out when he comes." Grace says.

That typically wouldn't be the way that I'd handle something like this, but I just respond "Okay, I guess I'll try that. But what do I do when they get here?" I ask.

"You worry too much Lily, ya know that?" Grace says.

I groan and plop down on my bed. "You're not helpful at all." I respond. Grace just shrugs.

I spend the rest of the day bored in my room. Nash tries texting me, so does Cam. I don't answer them. By nightfall I'm super nervous for tomorrow . I'm surprised I fall asleep, but I dream about the disastrous things that may or may not happen tomorrow when Nash and Cam come.
***

My eyes open. This is it. Today is the day.The dreaded morning that they're coming here. Through the intercom I hear Mrs.Horphis say "All girls from ages 15-17 that are not adopted yet and haven't been notified otherwise, please come to the main hall in your best clothes at 11:00. Thank you!"

I go to my drawer and choose a blue flowy dress that has lace shoulders and has a ribbon at the rib cage that is tied in the back to be a bow. I put it on and put my hair in a French braid that wraps around my head- starting on the right side of my head, and ending at the left. I look at myself in the mirror. I feel I look presentable and go to the main hall. A few girls are there already. I'm extremely nervous when 11 comes around.

Mrs. Horphis comes in and tells us all to stand in a straight line, ordered alphabetically and to look straight ahead at all times when they come. "I am going to bring the family in." She announces and walks out. My palms are clammy, my stomach is full of butterflies and I'm really sweaty. I don't know how they're going to handle the fact that I'm an orphan.

I see Mrs. Horphis walk in and I almost pass out of nervousness. I take a deep breath and look straight ahead like everyone else. I hear two gasps that I know are Nash and Cam's because Mrs.Grier knew I was in an orphanage. They walk down the line and say hello and ask some questions. Then, they get to me. "Hello, Lily!" Mrs. Grier says gleefully.

"Hey, Lily." Nash and Cam say, shocked.

" Hello Mrs. Grier. Hey Nash, Cam." I respond, addressing each of them.

"How long have you been here?" Mrs. Grier asks.

"I've been here for as long as I can remember. I think I was 4 when I first came here." I reply.

"Do you like it here?" Nash asks. I don't really like that he's asking me questions too.

"Yeah. I really do like it here. It's been my home my whole life and my best friend is here too, but I would never object to getting a real home and a real family though."

"Thank you." Mrs. Grier tells me after asking me a few more questions. They asked me less questions because they already know me a little.

They move on, but Cam whispers in my ear. "Why didn't you tell us?" He asks, sounding hurt.

"I didn't know how to. I wanted to, I really did. I'm sorry." I whisper back. Cam looks me in the eyes. They search mine for any sign of dishonesty, which he won't find. All that he'll see is honesty and desperateness. I search his, and find hurt... and understanding. He hugs me quickly. "It's okay. Don't worry about it. I understand." He pulls away, smiles, and catches up to Nash and Nash's mom.

I sigh a sigh of relief. Cam understands. He said it's okay. It's like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

// I haven't updated this I a little while, so I thought I should.
(PS I'm writing another fan fic about O2L and you should go read it! I mean, only if you want to, but you should;)
Have a good day guys:)