Part 34

(I always wanted to do a Songs of the chapter thing so I thought I'd do it this chapter- they'll be at end of the chapter)

*2 weeks later*

Lily's POV

There he is.

I can see his skin, every freckle and bruise, every vein and discoloration on his skin, his muscles that I never realized were so big.

He's in his nicest clothes, which happen to be the same clothes in which he proposed to me in, which makes it all the more harder.

I'm holding his hand, willing myself to control my emotions.

"How did this happen to us, Nash..." I whisper to him, brushing his hair back with my hand.

I realize I don't have long, there are people waiting to see Nash.

"I love you Lily." I imagine. I'm going to miss those words coming out of his mouth.

My mind shifts to a different subject. Should I just keep it?

No, somehow it doesn't feel right to keep it.

I reach into my purse and pull out the box. My fingers push the lid up so I can have one final glimpse of what's inside.

The diamond no longer shines in the way it did. The ring no longer has the meaning it was supposed to.

The ring caused this. I can't stand to look at it anymore.

I close the box, and close my eyes, taking a deep breath.

My fingers open Nash's hand, placing the box inside, and closes his fingers over it.

I lean down to his ear, whispering, "You can give me that later. I'll be looking forward to it. I love you."

I move my mouth from his ear to his lips and kiss him. One last time.

Different than before, no spark, for no love courses through a dead body. Still, I savor the feeling, the softness of his lips that used to kiss me so often and so lovingly.

I reluctantly break our final kiss, and walk away, not letting my eyes leave him until he's too far away to see.

I stand outside the room where people are saying goodbye to Nash, waiting for my family to come out.

Wearing his navy blue suit and light blue tie, Hayes comes through the door, tear trails on his cheeks. I walk over to him quickly as I begin to cry again too.

Hayes sees me and the tears he had probably it managed to control start rolling down his face again. I embrace him and we sob in each others arms.

"I miss him Lily." Hayes tells me, his voice quivering.

I sniffle. "I do too, Hayes. I'm so sorry."

Hayes squeezes me tighter, his body rocking with each sob that comes out of him.

"What'm I gonna do without Nash, Lily?" He asks me.

"I don't know, Hayes." I answer. "I really don't. We'll just have to manage."

I feel Hayes nod. "I'm sorry, Lily. You would've been an amazing wife. Nash loved you more than anything. I can't imagine how hard this is for you, too."

Dang it, Hayes; I thought I was starting to control my emotions...kind of.

I start sobbing uncontrollably, hyperventilating at the same time.

"Th-th...thanks-hay-Hayes." I say between sobs, though I doubt I was understandable.

We stand there crying in each others arms for a while, until Hayes lets go, wiping his eyes with his hands. "Mom just walked out of the building, she said it's time to go to the cemetery." Hayes tells me.

I nod, wiping under my eyes with my fingers, though that probably just smeared the already messed up mascara, making it worse.

Hayes takes my right hand and we walk outside into the rain together.

However long it is until I die, I'll long for the moment when I see Nash again, and he'll give me the ring, and we'll be together again.

I make a promise to never forget Nash.

I don't know how that would be possible, though.

Nash was the first person I loved.

Nash was the one I was going to spend the rest of my life with.

I love him.

I do.

And I always will.

<----->

Songs of the Chapter

-"Just A Dream" : ⬇️
"See You Again":Carrie Underwood
-" Slipped Away": Avril Lavigne