Part 17

CAM'S POV

We hadn't forgotten about Lily's birthday, but when she said it was her birthday to Nash online, he and I instantly decided to fly down. I'm glad we did, too. It worked out better than I could've imagined.

But... I'm a little nervous about what Nash and I have to break to her. It's bad news... really bad. Knowing Lily, she won't take it well.

I look into her beautiful hazel eyes, trying to put the bad thoughts away.

I hear someone clear their throat and I look up at Nash. "Oh! Right..." I say.

Lily looks back and forth from Nash and I.

"What?" She asks with curiosity in her eyes.

"So... Cam and I were thinking..." Nash begins, walking toward her.. "He and I are best friends and all, but we agreed we wanted our time alone with you. Cam has you for tonight and I have you for tomorrow?"

Lily shrugs. "I mean... I guess that's okay. But... I have missed us all being together. Do you think we could all grab something to eat? " She asks.

I grab her hand. "Absolutely." I reply.

She looks up at me and smiles. Nash takes her other hand and we walk down the street.

Lily is in the middle of Nash and I as we hold her hands. Everything seems good in the world right now, just like before. I like that it's back to the way it was. Well, almost.

*****

Lily, Nash and I are sitting at a table in McDonald's. I reach my hand for the last fry and instead I feel fingers. I look up at Lily as she pulls her hand back.

"You can have it." She offers.

I can't get over how nice she is, even with the littlest things. That's one of the things I love most about Lily.

"I don't need it." I tell her.

"How about this..." Lily begins as she reaches for the fry. I watch as she grabs it in the middle and tears it in half. She extends her arm out with part of the fry in her hand. "Here." She says. I just look at her with a confused expression.

Lily raises her eyebrows and slightly smiles. "Take it!" She says while she makes circles in the air with the fry.

I take it. "You're splitting a fry with me?" I ask her.

"Yep." Lily states.

Nash randomly says something. "Did you not notice that I was just choking?!" He asks in disbelief.

Lily looks at him and winces. "Umm... no?"
"I could've DIED and you wouldn't have noticed!!" Nash exclaims. It's just like him to say something like that- overly dramatic for effect.

My shoulders shrug. "Sorry dude." I apologize as I plop the half-fry in my mouth.

Lily sighs. "Here. This is my 'I'm sorry' fry." Lily really is genuinely sorry.

Another thing I love about her- she's extremely compassionate.

She gives the half of a fry to Nash and he immediately puts it in his mouth.

"Thank you." Nash says. "And I didn't actually choke I just ran out of my fries." Nash turns on his phone as Lily scolds him. His eyes get big. "

"Oh shoot." He says, but immediately tries to cover up. "Uh, I mean, I should probably leave so you two can have some time together."

I know what he meant. It's because of what he hasn't told Lily yet. "Yeah, thanks. See ya later Nash." I say.

Lily gets up so Nash can get out of the seat.

"Bye." She says and gives Nash a hug. Nash says goodbye and leaves quickly.

NASHS POV

Lily gives me a hug. "I love you." She whispers and kisses my cheek, but quick and quiet enough that Cam doesn't notice.

"Love you too," I whisper back and pull from the hug. "Bye guys!"

Before they can say anything else, I walk out of the restaurant. My legs rush me to get into my car and leave to go to the hospital.

I'm worried that it's going to get worse. The pain in my lungs scares me.

I can't tell Lily. If she's going to choose, which she put off for a year, I don't want her to choose me out of sympathy or pity. I want it to be because I'm the one she wants. I can't tell her, not unless I have no choice.

****

"It seems like nothing," the doctor explains, taking his glasses off and looking up from the clipboard."Probably just some allergies. However, we are going to have you on medication and give you a shot just in case it is-"

I interrupt. "Cancer?"

The doctor sighs. "Yes, cancer. I seriously doubt that's what it is, which is good. But we just want to be safe."

After a few minutes, the shot is ready. The doctor takes the needle and puts it into my upper arm. It's makes my arm feel like it's inflating as he presses it down, injecting the serum that will hopefully keep me healthy. The doctor takes it out, and puts a bandaid on it.

I'm glad it's over, I've never liked shots.

He writes out a prescription to help with lung problems and hands the sheet of paper to me.

I stand up and start to walk out. "Thank you, Sir." I say.

"Listen, Nash, I wouldn't worry about anything. Don't let the worrying shut you down. You'll be fine." He tries to convince me.

I nod and walk out. I sure hope he's right.

|||
I hope you guys are still enjoying the story! Thanks again for reading. Love you all❤️