Part 33

Lily's POV

My family and I all prayed really hard tonight. Even after I went to bed my parents were still awake, their phones at their side waiting to get any updates on Nash's condition.

My blissful sleep is the only thing keeping me sane during this time. I dream of him, all the times we had, how he made me feel.

I imagine him living through this. I imagine my wedding dress, the wedding, the reception, and how amazing it all would be.

It's all I want in the world now, besides Nash to live. I need to spend the rest of my life with him, although the unfortunate reality is that a long happy life isn't always in the cards for everyone.

But Dear God, I hope it's in the cards for Nash.

***

I go straight to the hospital with my family in the morning. They called saying Nash might actually wake up today.

My hopes are instantly brought up.

Nash might live. We might still be able to get married.

Nash might wake up today.

I decide to take that as a victory, because him waking up is, if only a little one, a sign of improvement.

My family and I anxiously await news of Nash waking up. Finally, that news comes.

When we are finally told that, we all erupt in happiness, exclaiming " Thank the Lord" and things like that. We all hug each other, and just like the night before, we take turns visiting Nash.

I volunteer to go last, so that I don't have to be mindful of how long I spend with him.

I try to be patient, and it wasn't easy, but after a long while, it's finally my turn.

I run-literally,I full on sprinted-to the elevator, and then to Nash's room.

I push the door open with so much force, I'm pretty sure it made a dent in the when it hit it.

And there he was.

Bright blue eyes, floppy hair, contagious smile...

My fiancé.

The one and only, Nash Grier.

I smile so big my face hurts, and I run to Nash, giving him a big hug.

I would "squeeze him to death", but I think he's been a little too close to death, I don't want to take any chances.

"Hi, Lil-" Nash begins, but I don't let him finish.

I take his face in my hands and press my lips against his, smiling.

Nash wraps his arm (that isn't broken) around me, kissing me back, our lips moving in sync.

At this moment, I could care less if the entire world was staring at us- Nash was alive. I've never been so happy in my life.

I pull away to say: "Yes." Then I kiss him again.

Nash breaks the kiss, with a confused look on his face. "Hold on- yes, to what?" He asks.

"Yes, I'll marry you." I tell him with a giant smile.

A huge smile appears on Nash's face, and he laughs. "I love you, Lily."

"I love you too." He kisses me again.

Then, he coughs.

Another cough.

I feel wetness on my lips, but it tastes salty, metallic.

Like blood.

I break from the kiss and see Nash erupting in a coughing fit, blood spurting out each time.

I hear his heart monitor starts going flat.

"NURSE! HELP NASH NEEDS HELP!" I scream.

Tears start streaming down my face.

Immediately, nurses and doctors rush in, talking and trying to save him.

I didn't realize, but Cam was standing outside the door-why? I'm not sure- so he comes it and takes my hand, trying to get me out of the room.

I try to get out of his hold. "No let go of me Cam!!" I shout, still crying. "I need to stay with Nash!!"

"No, Lily, the doctors need you to leave-" he tries to explain, but I scream at him.

"NO!"

Cam then wraps his arms around my whole body and lifts me up, carrying me out of the room all the while I yell at him to put me down.

He sets me down next to the wall across from Nash's room, and just before the door closes, I hear the heart monitor go flat.

I curl up into a ball and lean into Cam, who is sitting next to me on the floor. "He's dead." I cry into his shoulder.

"Lily we don't know that-"

"I heard the monitor go flat." I tell him, sobbing.

"He'll be okay," Cam tries to assure me.

I try to believe him, but neither of us really know. Nothing is certain anymore.

And there we sit in silence. Waiting.

The only thing going through my head, being:

I might have just watched my best friend, my future husband...

My Everything-

Die.