Part 22

CAM'S POV

I've spent the past day or two just binge watching The Walking Dead again in my and Nash's hotel room. Nash didn't come back last night ,which worried me, but Lily texted at night that Nash was in the hospital because he'd stopped breathing.

I instantly knew this was because of the cancer and I knew I had to go see him... But I also knew that visiting hours would be closed and he'd be released soon enough to where it wouldn't really make sense to visit. So I just stayed in the hotel all alone.

A knocking sound comes to my ears as I sit in bed continuing to watch tv. I grab the remote by my leg and pause it. I push the covers off of me and my feet take me to the door and I open it. On the other side, is Nash and Lily, both of them drenched.

Lily smiles at me and I smile back at her. "Hey Cam!" She says. Lily hugs me with one arm, and I notice that she's holding Nash's hand.

Nash and I had our issues last year, and we promised not to let Lily come in between each other. I can't help it though, I still get jealous and uncomfortable when Lily and Nash get all romantic and boyfriend-girlfriend-like in front of me, even though they aren't dating.

It also makes it awkward for me because Lily and I also act like that. I've noticed that it's not as romantic with me compared to when it's Nash. It makes me wonder...

"Hey," I reply. She walks past me and let's go of Nash's hand.

Then, Nash. Regardless of my thoughts a few seconds ago, all I see is my cancer stricken best friend. I pull him in to a hug and pat his back. "I'm so glad your okay, man." I tell him. "I told you that you should've told her about this."

Lily buds in. "I'm not mad that he didn't tell me about the cancer. He explained to me why and I understand."

Nash backs away from me and walks past me to Lily. "You should go home and get some rest." Nash suggests to Lily, taking her hand. "Thank you for staying with me at the hospital."

Lily smiles. "Alright. And of course I stayed with you. I needed to know you were okay. You get some rest too, you've just been face to face with death!" She says the last part in a motherly type of way.

"I'll walk you down, Lily." I establish.

"Sure, Cam." Lily replies, just briefly breaking eye contact with Nash to look at me."I'd appreciate that. I'll meet you out there."

I walk out of the room. I can take a hint. As I walk out, out of the corner of my eye I see Lily go up on her tip toes and her blurry face merges with Nash's face. I know what that means obviously. And it kills. There's that envy again. The feeling that burns, makes my hands clench and my stomach turn into a knot.

I lean on the wall outside the hotel door and after a minute or two, Lily opens it. She walks out casually, with a big smile on her face.

"Ready?" She asks.

"Yup." I reply. We walk down the hall to the elevator in silence.

Lily presses the button when we reach the big silver doors. They open and we walk in. I take the liberty of pressing the button to the lobby. We stand in the middle of the elevator, about 6 inches in between us as the the doors close. I stare at the wall and bluntly, it just comes out.

"You would've rather it been me, don't you."

Lily turns her head sideways and looks at me. I don't look back. "Come again?" She asks.

"The one with cancer. The one in the hospital. The one who almost died. You wish it was me and not Nash." I turn my head to look at her. Her eyes are wide, her mouth is covered with her hand.

"Cam, oh my gosh NO!" Lily exclaims, obviously hurt. " Why on Earth would you think that was true?"

I turn towards her and decide to come clean.

My voice raises without me trying to."Lily, are you really so oblivious?! I'm in love with you! And Lily...you're in love too."

Lily stares at me in awe and I can tell her mind must be on overload.

It takes a lot to admit what I know is true but I wish wasn't.

"But it's not with me."