Part 21

LILY'S POV

For at least 3 hours I'm sitting in the car because they told me I've spent too much time in the room.

My head leans on the head rest on the seat, my arms are crossed, my eyes are closed, and my leg is bouncing up and down. I'm becoming impatient and am bored out of my mind.

Then, all of a sudden, I hear distant footsteps, slow and heavy, yet full of life. But there's no one else outside in the now pouring rain...

My heavy eyes struggle to open and my ears tune into the sound I'm hearing. My head lifts up, and I look right. Nothing. Left. Bingo.

Walking toward me, is the blue eyed angel that I love so deeply. I yank the car door open, my legs push me up and I sprint to Nash. Though it's only a matter of feet, it feels like miles.

I jump into his arms Nash spins me around in the air. "Hey, Lily." Nash says casually, as if he didn't just almost die. He kisses my cheek and sets me down. I look into his eyes and he looks in mine. I can't help but let a big smile appear on my face.

NASHS POV

Lily looks like a total dork with her big toothy smile as we gaze into each others eyes.

A thunderclap renders me deaf for a few seconds. Lightning strikes in the distance. The rain pellets strike us, a sting coming with every one that comes in contact with my skin. We run to the car to get out of the storm.

Lily and I quickly get into the car. "Let's just go for a drive." I suggest. "We didn't get our day alone the way we wanted."

Lily nods and I drive. To where, I'm not sure. Just a drive, Lily and me and no one else.
We end up in a forest on a dirt trail, still technically a road I guess, when all of a sudden, I hear crying.

I look to my right at Lily after I park the car in the middle of nowhere. I see that the smile on her face gone away. She looks at me and I at her. "You okay?" I ask.

Lily leans back. Her face scrunches up into her crying face. "I thought you were dead." She says quietly, squeezing her eyes. "I thought you wouldn't come back to me "

Then, unexpectedly, she runs out of the car into the towering birch tree forest in the pouring rain.

I instinctively run after her, fiddling with the door handle a little to open the door. I don't bother closing it once I'm out.

I find myself running through the forest not knowing where I am at all, leaping over logs and running into branches. The crunch of leaves and dirt with each stride enters my ears and I can see Lily ahead of me. I run faster and grab her shoulder to get her to slow down. She stops and turns when I do this.

I take her face ,that is shaking along with the rest of her body, in my hands and make her head turn to me. Her eyes are closed. "Hey," I say. "Look at me."

Nothing.

"Look at me." I persist.

Lily slowly opens her eyes and a tear falls. I wipe it away with my thumb. "I'm here now. I'm alright. You don't worry about me, Lily. I'm fine. I lived. You don't have to be afraid anymore, everything's okay. I'm here."

Lily and I stare at each other. The fright in her eyes is lessened, but is still there. For reassurance to her I repeat myself. "I'm here."

Lily stops shaking.

Lily's hair is now completely stringy in the way hair gets when it's drenched, and the raindrops on her face strangely somehow compliment her. She looks all the more beautiful, though she always is and always has been the most beautiful person on Earth.

Then it just sort of happened. Lily's fingers are bent and her hand rests on my jaw line. Her other hand is behind my head. My left hand stays on her face and my other arm is around her waist. Her soft, rain wetted lips press against mine. She continues to lightly cry. Yep. We're just standing in the middle of a forest in the pouring rain...kissing.

Lily is the one to pull away. My chin leans in to continue but she angles her head to the ground. "I know." She whispers. "Just don't do anything stupid to get yourself killed again."

My relaxed eyes look at the top of her head.
"I promise." I pull her into a hug. She buries her head into me and we stay there for a little bit. Lily seems to calm down. I hug her tighter.

I look up and squint because the raindrops are hitting my eyes. "So, can we get out of the storm now?" I ask.

Lily backs away out of the hug. "Yeah." She looks up at me quickly with her beautiful hazel eyes and smiles.

Lily walks past me and to the car. I turn as she walks past me and I just look at her.

I just kind of have the feeling. The feeling where you really can't describe what your feeling but you know it's so strong and powerful that it can't be nothing. The feeling is renewed each day. She courses through my mind all the time and I gladly let her. I can't help it. I think this is it. I think this is the real deal.

I'm in love with Lily Foster.