Part 20

LILY'S POV

"What happened to Nash?" I ask seriously and nervously. "Is he okay?"

The young nurse sits down in the seat next to me. She places her hand on my knee, looking down. She seems inappropriately calm considering the situation, but I suppose that's a part of her job.

The nurse sighs. "Nash stopped breathing due to a mild cancer attack."

My hand covers my mouth. Cancer? No, no this can't be right... None of this makes sense at all... How did he survive this long? How has he survived this- wait... Did he even survive this???

"Don't worry. It's one of the more unusual cancer cases we've had, but it's in your favor. He'd had cancer for a while, but never seemed to effect him, which has never happened in my career. Today, it got to his lungs, and caused him to suffocate.

"However, we were able to find the source, give it a treatment that should wipe it out completely, and Nash won't have anymore problems. He'll be just fine."

I loosen up a bit. The whole situation with him having cancer and it not affecting him doesn't make sense at all, but I don't even care. Nash is okay. He's okay. I'm so relieved that Nash is going to live.

I look up at her with an expression that says it all.

"Of course sweetie. Go and see him." The nurse tells me .

"Thank you." I reply. I wipe the tears from my face and slowly walk to the door. I clutch the handle, and take a deep breathe. I hope I can handle what I'm about to see. The knob turns and I push the door open. I fall apart all over again.

Nash is motionless, except for the beautiful sight of his chest moving again. He lay there in a hospital gown, the blanket halfway up his stomach. Wires are all over him and he has an IV in his wrist and in his toe,which sticks out from the sheet. On his face, is a clear mask to help him breathe. It fogs up each time he exhales.

My feet take me to his bed side. I lean over Nash and kiss his forehead. "I love you Nash. I love you more than anything in the world." I whisper. I pull away but stay reasonably close to his face, just looking at him. Gosh, I love him. I smile at the thought of it.

I sit down and take his hand. My head leans against the bed and I close my eyes. Next thing I know, sleep overcomes me on the floor of a hospital, holding Nash's hand that fits in mine as if they were meant for each other. Which I truly believe they were.

NASH'S POV

"I love you more Lily. So much more." I smile, and drift off to sleep.

***

LILY'S POV

I feel a warmth that covers me like a blanket. The floor now seems more comfortable. I hear a steady breathing and air blowing on my head every so often. My face is nuzzled into something that I don't know.

Slowly, I start to shift my position and my eyes squint open. There are two strong arms around me and my head leans against a chest. There's a hint of the scent of cologne in the shirt that has, for the most part, seemingly worn off.

My neck cranes up to see where I am.I'm in the hospital bed. I don't remember coming up here from the floor of the hospital...

The door to the room creeks open slowly and the nurse who talked to me earlier peeks her head in. "Good morning," she says quietly with a cheerful smile. The nurse tucks her red hair behind her ear and brushed her bangs to the side. "I hope you don't mind that I put you in the bed... I came in and you were asleep on the floor so-"

"It's alright." I reply, placing my head back on the bed. "Thank you."

The nurse walks all the way in and closes the door behind her. "Is Nash awake?" She asks. " I need to check and see how he's doing."

I look up at Nash. His eyes are closed, his lips and jaw limp."No, not yet." I reply. "I can wake him up for you if you can give me a minute or two." I offer.

"That would be great." She answers, smiling again. I like how much she smiles. Her happiness is contagious. "Let me know when he's awake. Tell Nash that Daisy needs to check in on him."

I assume that Daisy is her. "Okay. Thanks Daisy." I reply. The nurse smiles and walks out of the room.

I cuddle back up against Nash and rub his shoulder with my hand. "Nash?" I say.

Nash moves a little bit, rubbing his eyes. He squints down at me. "Lily..." he mumbles groggily.

It takes him a second to comprehend where we are, what happened, the whole situation.

Nash's eyes open wider and he gets a burst of energy. "Lily! Lily, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about the cancer-"

Wait...He knew?

" I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I'm okay now, I am. I didn't tell you because I didn't want your decision to sway towards me out of sympathy, but that was a mistake. Please forgive me." During the whole explanation the mask over his mouth fogs up over and over.

"It's fine Nash." I reply. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Nash smiles. He moves his mask up a little bit and kisses my forehead. His lips break contact with my head and rests his head on top of mine. Nash wraps his arms around me and pulls me close to him.

I let us stay like that for as long as I can spare the time, but I know that Daisy needs to check on him.

"As much as I love being here right now with you," I begin. "Daisy needs to check your vitals and see how you're doing."

Nash groans. "Can it wait?" He asks.

I giggle. "I wish, but no."

Nash takes his fingers and tilts my head up so I'm looking right at him. His lips press against mine and a sensation of relief goes through me because a day ago, I thought for sure I'd never experience that again.

Nash pulls away. "I love you."

My eyes are still closed and I'm wearing a smile on my face. "I love you too." I sigh, open my eyes, push the blanket of the hospital bed off me, and get out to notify Daisy.

/hope you are still enjoying this! I'll have a new chapter up soon, and I'll be writing even more bc ITS ALMOST SUMMER VACATIONN😄love u guys❤️😊