Part 25

Lily's POV

I can't bring myself to walk through the terminal to the plane. I just stare down the seemingly endless, gray tunnel.

Grace, with her black hair in a bun and Light blue sweatshirt, walks up next to me.

I turn and look at her. " I can't do this." I tell her.

" But Lily, this is great!" Grace says. "This is what you wanted, right?" She smiles at me.

I've expressed my missing California and Nash and Cam to her too many times to count. She knows how much this means to me. How long I've waited for this.

"Yes, of course!" I reply. "But I just can't imagine being away from you."

Grace takes my hand. "Just because we're across the country doesn't mean we won't be best friends anymore. You'll be fine. I'll be fine. Don't worry about me."

I feel a lump in my throat. My vision begins to become blurry. "But I need you."

A caring smile appears on her face."You don't need anyone but yourself, Lily." Grace reassures me, placing her hands on my shoulders. "You're beautiful, you're kind, you're smart, you're compassionate. You're strong. The strongest person I know. I have faith in you."

I nod. A tear trickles down my cheek. "You're putting on a pretty brave face." I tell her.

Grace shrugs. "That's what I've done all my life. I've had plenty of practice." She acts like its nothing. Grace is tough. I'm going to miss that about her.

"How am I supposed to leave you, my best friend, after all this time." I choke out through the tears. My eyes scan her. I won't be seeing her in person for a while. In fact, we may never meet again in this lifetime, depending on how things turn out. The Wicked Broadway song "changed for good" plays in my head along with the many thoughts swirling around in my brain.
Grace's eyes tear up. "You can do it. And I need to tell you-Thank you for sticking with me. I know I'm not always the most pleasant person to be around. I'm glad you're my best friend." She smiles slightly.
A sob comes out from me and I take Grace into my arms. "Thank you for being mine."
Grace pulls out of the hug quickly- she's not a hugging type of person- and wipes the tears from under her eyes. "Your gonna miss your flight." She says, motioning in the direction of the plane.
I nod and walk down the tunnel, still crying. As I reach the end I turn around and see her still standing there. Grace waves. See ya later, she mouths.
I sadly smile and wave back. See ya.
I look at my best friend for a few more seconds. I'm gonna miss her so much.
I turn reluctantly, take a deep breath, and walk away. Some of the hardest steps I've ever taken.

**

Short Chapter😋