p.

[ prologue ]

Y/N was never one to be considered typical. She was also never really known at all; so people wouldn't be able to tell if she was 'typical' or not. Y/n had a habit of not letting people get "too close".

However, Y/n knew she wasn't common. Predictable. Typical. Hell, she barely even considered herself normal. And of course, Y/n's mom never made it too hard for Y/n to grow to hate herself. Well at least, hate a specific part of her body.

When Y/n was born, the doctors marked her down as a boy. When her parents first saw her, they also marked her down as a boy. Hell, even before she was born she was being called a boy. The ultrasounds spoke for themselves.

It only started at 12, when Y/n began to notice some. . changes. Her chest was beginning to protrude, and sag down a little bit. Nothing too noticeable, especially at this age, but it was concerning to her mother once she had showed her.

By age 13, Y/n's chest had grown a good amount and now her parents were really concerned. They set up a doctor's appointment the same day, and was not expecting to hear what they did once they got there.

"It seems to us, Enzo is no longer a boy. Well, if she's ever been a boy, we're unsure. She seems to have both chromosomes, a pretty balanced amount of testosterone and estrogen. I do happen to see a slight increase in estrogen, though."

Y/n was intersex. A rare condition which only usually happens in about 1-2 out of a 100 American people. The whole family didn't know how to take this information. Young Y/n was just so confused, and with no guidance, no fellow 'intersex people' to look up to; she felt alone.

Y/n's parents didn't quite know how to take it. Her dad didn't even know this existed. Her mother was trying to figure out a way to be supportive. To be fair, Y/n's parents were just as confused as she was.

Now, to put icing on the cake, Y/n had a little sister. She was 9 when Y/n was 13, dealing with all of this. Y/n's little sister, who's name is Jada, was the family's "normal" little girl. She was loved and cherished, especially by their grandparents. Sometimes, she was treated better than Y/n was.

And Y/n envied that.

There was no doubt in anyone's mind when it came to Y/n's parents' constant fighting. Once they had discovered Y/n's condition, they would bicker about what to do.

"Well, we can't keep calling her Enzo, Y/d/n. She's not a fucking boy." Her mother would snap at him. But, Y/n's dad has never been one to keep his mouth shut.

"We can call her whatever the fuck she's comfortable with! She still has a dick, ya'know? Maybe she likes the name Enzo. Maybe she might not want people to know she's actually a 'girl'. She's 13!" He would clap back.

Neither of her parents were wrong. Y/n knew that. They weren't arguing because they hated her. They weren't arguing because they hated her condition. They were arguing because they didn't know how to parent an 'un-normal' child. A non-typical kid.

Little did they know, they didn't need to do anything extra. They didn't need to try to go that 'extra mile' just to make Y/n feel comfortable in her own skin. They just needed to show her validation. Comfort. And the love every child desires. Typical or not.