xxi

(warning: SUPERR long chapter)

[ chapter 21 ]

april 24, 2022
8:07 p.m
brooklyn, new york

- - - - -

ariana's pov:

   "SHE called me a slut."

   Victoria and Courtney sat there; wide eyed and slack jawed.

   They didn't say anything. Just stared at me, frozen in that shocked expression. I sighed and then they looked at each other. Courtney stifled a laugh and looked at her lap; while Victoria shook her head and looked back at me.

   "Why. . . why did she say that?" Vic asks in a tone I couldn't quite describe. "Because I told her about Ethan and I. She caught me up about calling him my family friend, then going on to say it 'paints a bad picture' or some shit."

   "Then I was like, 'what do you mean?' and I pressed her about it and she called me a slut." This time Vic snorted and immediately looked down at her lap.

   I was fighting a smile; frowning in order to hide my amusement.

   "Why are y'all laughing!" I whined, which caused them to finally give up the act and start laughing. I sighed even though I had to look down at my fight to hide my smile. No, the situation wasn't funny but I guess the way I told them could be to them.

   "I-I'm sorry, Ari. It's just. . kinda funny." I looked up to playfully shoot her a glare and she giggled even more. Victoria took a deep breath before speaking again.

   "And how did that make you feel?" She asked, like she was my therapist or something.

   I blow out air through my nose and shrug, finally sitting down.

   "I mean, not good. I literally met her, what, less than a month ago? I just ruined our relationship before it even got the chance to get started." I slumped further into my couch.

"That's not true, Ari. Like you said, y'all literally met less than a month ago. More like a few weeks. This is the beginning and y'all haven't had any ties to hold each other down. A little mess up won't ruin the entire thing." Courtney stood up and came and sat next to me.

I laid my head on her shoulder and sighed. I knew Vic was right deep down but I couldn't help but feel the opposite. Why would she want anything to do with me after what I did? After the way I reacted?

"I know. . but I don't blame her. I shouldn't of gotten defensive. I just . . I don't know." I shook my head.

"Listen," Courtney sat up again; gaining all of our attention. "y'all both fucked up. Regardless of the situation, she didn't need to call you that and you didn't need to deflect. My only suggestion is to apologize to her and let her tell you her point of view. Without getting defensive. Take accountability."

I felt like a child listening to their parents scold and lecture. Then, I realized that's how I was acting at Y/n's house. The embarrassment quickly settled in.

I groaned loudly, rolling over and planting my face into my sofa.

kill. me. now.