xxiii

[ chapter 23 ]

may 16, 2022
1:47 a.m
los angeles, california

- - - - -

ariana's pov:

"Y/N?"

I couldn't believe my eyes. It was actually her, standing in front of me with a hopeful glint in her eye. Her expression was something close to unreadable but I saw right through those y/e/c orbs.

"Were you looking for me?" I blurted out, unable to stop my thoughts from being spoken out-loud. The y/h/c looked around, seeming slightly embarrassed as I did just call her out in front of my friends.

who aren't the BIGGEST fans of her right now. .

"U-uh. . yes? Fuck — um, c-could we talk? In private?" She was stuttering and fumbling over her words. I've never seen Y/n this jumbled up and flustered before.

and i've seen her flustered

"Uh, yeah—sure." I give her a tight-lipped smile. I turn to my friends handing Njomza my drink. "I'll be back." I whisper to them once I'm close enough.

They nod and Court slips me a thumbs up and an encouraging smile as I begin walking away. I smile at her and fully turn around, walking with Y/n wherever she's deciding to take me.

We go up some stairs and make onto an empty balcony. The air was a little chilly but nothing too bad. I didn't bring a jacket and all I had on was this tiny black dress. If we were up here too long, I know I'd be freezing by the end of it.

She sat us down away from the door, on the edge. I sat next to her and looked over the view for a second. We were up a little high in the building so it was quite the sight to see. I assumed I was staring too long when Y/n cleared her throat.

"Okay, um," I snap my head back to her. Damn, she looks so fucking good tonight. I couldn't even lie — and I didn't try to hide my attraction.

i never really have

   "to be honest, I don't really know what to say. I just. . didn't want to miss out on the chance." I raised an eyebrow. "To talk to you again." She clarified. My heart fluttered.

   Clearly, she still has the same exact affect on me.

   "I. ." My head was spinning. I don't think I've had this much difficulty in speaking in forever. It felt like I was physically (and mentally) unable to form coherent sentences. The only thing I could understand was the constant swirling of a few words.

i want you back so bad

   "I-I'm sorry, Y/n." I blurted. Those 3 simple words had caused everything to still. It was like I took medicine and all the voices in my head shut off. I could think a little clearer, see a little clearer, and hear a little clearer.

   "I clearly don't have any speech figured out. If I'm being honest, I can barely speak around you. But, I do know the few things that have been on my mind since I left your house that day." I took a deep breath. The embarrassment of that evening was evident and rushing back to me vigorously like waves in a thunder storm.