Chapter 28 : selfish bastard

Jimin tried his best to recall the incidents happened 5 years ago. Namjoon hyung was right. He didn't deserve this life. It was time to go back and start everything afresh. He must seize this chance.

Still, it was not easy to recall all those bloody scenes specially when he tried to forget them all along.

When it finally ended , Jimin was pale as a white piece of satin clothes.

Looking at his pale face Namjoon petted Jimin's head.

"You did well Jimin. With your statement we can corner the murderer of both crimes. Unfortunately he has already disappeared."

Namjoon thought a while before asking

"Did Kai give any hint about where he's going?"

"No, he just said he is going far away and won't be able to meet me for a long time."

"Is that so..That's fine.. He can't hide from us forever. We'll try our best to capture him as soon as possible so we can bring your case to the court."

"Hyung.. Can I.. can I ask you a question??"

"Sure.. what is it?"

"Why did you open my case all of a sudden? I.. I mean.. I've already went through my sentence. So why would you open the case now?"

Namjoon looked at Jimin for a while before answering.

"We had a request.. No.. we were forced to open the case. As you said this case was already solved. Without a superior influence we can't open such a case"

Superior? Jimin though. Who could be the superior force to open the case.?

"Mr. Jeon Jungkook." Namjoon continued.

"It was him who requested to open the case. With his force and influence in administration we can't do anything but obey."

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

Jungkook led the officers to the door and came back to see Jimin sitting in the living room in daze.

"Jimin, Officer Kim said he'd find a secure place for you in few days. Until then you can stay here. This penthouse is one of the high secured areas in Seoul. So you can rest assured "

Looking at the silent boy Jungkook quickly added,

"It's only if you are okay with it. If you.. if you are uncomfortable here I can arrange another place. I have few more penthouses like this."

Jimin still didn't look up. He was staring at nothingness as if thinking about something before questionning.

"Why would you do that?"

"Huh?" Jungkook was caught off guard by the sudden question.

" Why did you want to open the case? "

Jimin asked without looking up. He was almost whispering that Jungkook barely heard him.

A sudden silence went across the room that even a needle drop could be heard. The only sound which dominated the room was the breathing sounds of the two men.

Jungkook looked at his palm before sitting in the couch. He looked up to see Jimin's questioning glance. He quickly looked down unable to meet the boy's gesture.

".....When... When I asked officer Kim to open the case... I wanted to ensure again that you are the murderer. So that.. I can get rid of this guilty feeling I get everytime I see you. But there's also this little hope that you are innocent all along. I want to assure myself I was not betrayed by you. I wanted to believe that you are still the Jimin you used to be.."

Jungkook continued without looking up.

"When the results of the investigation came I didn't know whether to repent or rejoice."

Jungkook let a mocking laugh at himself.

"Ofcourse how could I rejoice when I am a selfish bastard who hurt you all the time. I didn't believe you when you said the truth. I let them take you to an asylum. When you came back I..."

Jungkook's eyes were filled with tears. The images of Jimin laying in his bed covered with blood flashes through his head.

"I hurt you.. fuck! I.. I.. Do I even deserve to regret it now."

Jungkook looked up at the ceiling as if to prevent the tears from falling.

The room was silent again. Jimin didn't talk. He didn't know what to say. This was totally unexpected. He didn't expect them to open the case and he didn't expect Jungkook to initiate it. He has already lost his hope in Jungkook and parents. But this...

After calming down Jungkook looked straight at Jimin.

"Jimin.. I know I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. I'm too ashamed to ask for that. I'm doomed to live with this guilt. Guilt of ruining your life. Only thing I could do is let them proceed with your case to bring you justice. I know it's too late. But that's the least... I could do..."

The room was silent again. For the first time Jungkook found how much the silence is unbearable. He wanted Jimin to scream and hit him. Make him go any sort of intolerable pain. He can bear anything but not this guilt.

"Thank you"

Jungkook was startled. He looked up at Jimin. Jimin ignored the shock of the man and continued.

"I believe that everyone deserve forgiveness but if you insist...."

Jimin sighed.

"To be honest I'm trying to forget about my past. It's true.. I spent 5 years in hell hole.. I constantly suffered from nightmares. But my present is better than them. All that matters to me now is this present and future. Now you gave me a chance to dream about a clear future. To live without any stain. I'm truely grateful for that."

Jungkook stared at the gentle smile on the boy for a long time. He still looked like he was startled. Looking at the boy he can't help but recall what he has done. Unknowingly tears started to fall down his cheeks. He didn't try to wipe them but continued to stare at the boy.

'What has he done'.. 'What has he done'

The sentence was reapeating on his head. He couldn't take it any longer. He hid his face in his arms and started to cry.

Jimin stiffly sat next to Jungkook. He has never seen the elder cry. He didn't say or do anything and let Jungkook cry out for everything because he knew crying out the guilt and sadness is better than crushing them in heart.

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇