Part 38

*Beep *Beep *Beep *Beep...

The heart rate monitor played the rhythm of life, keeping the people present in the room calm from within, knowing that the person who's life was on display was still intact.

Priya, who had her eyes fixed to Ram's face was sinking from within. The rhythmic beeps of the machine were similar to the thud of her heart. Not that it calmed her but it added to her fear. As more moments passed by Ram not opening his eyes, nor responding, the more Priya's heart succumbed to her worst fear.

Suddenly, the machine paced its rhythm alerting her. She looked at Ram and then at the monitor which showed the heart rate increasing, the waves of life going frantic. Stumbling and fumbling, she stopped up and yelped for help.

The nearby nurse Ran straight into the room and was shocked as well, to see Ram huffing for breathe. Priya was elated to see movements from Ram. A sense of calm swept her from within but before a smile could appear on her face the nurse rushed out and called for the doctor.

Priya so wanted to go near him and call him out but before she could, the doctor with a few more nurses rushed in and started inspecting him.

"Is he okay doctor?" She managed to ask in between the frantic conversation of doctor and nurses. She was so accustomed to the beeping of the machine that the words that fell out of doctors mouth went negligible. She focused onto the rhythmic beeping which was going up with each passing second.

Her heartbeats thuded in sync with the paced beeping. She looked vigorously seeing the staff rushing around the room handing and taking equipments to the doctor.

"Check his pulse.." she heard the doctor yell while he pumped Ram's chest with both his hands.

Thud... Thud thud thud thud thud... Her heartbeats raced with the monitor which went frantic and stopped abruptly. Priya stood there stupified, her insync heartbeats with the machine stopped as well, she forgot to breathe. Darkness clouded her eyes and before the darkness could consume her, she saw the nurse pulling the white bed cover on top of Ram's face as she collapsed.

--------

The smoke from the wood-burning blurred her vision, not that the tears were doing the job perfectly, yet the hurt she felt in her eyes and heart was so much to comprehend at what just happened.

Every known and unknown face were surrounding the area, To mourn for the loss, to give their condolence.

Priya sobbed deliriously, her eyes fixed to the final rights. Her heart pounded hard against her chest, she trembled thoroughly and fought hard to stand up on her feet but gave up when a voice called for her, "Gudiyaan..." the soft and soothing voice of her mother echoed in her mind, "Pari.." her father's voice trailed her mother's.

"Maa... Papa!" She gasped loudly before her limbs gave up and she collapsed on her knees.

"Priya!!" Her daadi called her, holding her close, "Priya... Priya.." her daadi's call joined in the harmony of her parent's voices in her head, Priya tried to get hold of her daadi but when she touched her face, it faded like the memories she was living in.

"Priya... Priya... Priya..." multiple voices called her but she couldn't put a name or face to it. She was losing her senses.

"Mumma.." a single voice amidst the sea of voices caught her attention.

"Kya hua Mumma ko? (What happened to mumma?)" the voice went clearer.

Priya took the courage and stood up to find the voice. The faces which were known to her just a few seconds back were now all unknown and blurred. walked past the hollow faces towards this ray of light.