Part 57

"are you for real Vikram?" Priya stopped him after the meeting to confront him.

"Of course I am real" Vikram raised his brow, "Or, am I a clone" he leaned in and whispered.

Priya clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes, "I am being serious right now" she was mad at him and here he was goofing around.

"you think I am lying?" still he kept the baritone, imitating a robot.

"God!" She threw her hands in despair.

"Okay, what's wrong?" Vikram came to his normal self.

"What's wrong? you tell me what's wrong" Priya pointed at him.

"What? what did I do?" He was clueless, annoyingly.

"You suggested my name for the convention Vikram, and you ask me what did you do?" Priya looked at him in disbelief.

"So? What's the big deal?" Vikram was still oblivious.

"I can't go to Delhi Vikram!" She stated.

"Why? any problem?" He asked, "you can tell me"

"Of course there's a problem Vikram. You are asking ME to go as YOUR replacement, are you insane?" She emphasized.

"Oh come on Priya" Now it was Vikram's turn to roll his eyes, "you don't have to do much, Ram will take care of it." he tried to make her understand, "You just have to be there, just in case"

"Just in case?" Priya scrunched her brows, "Did you see the look on Mr. Kapoor's face when you said you weren't going. You are important to this project and you think I. I !! can replace you at such short notice?" her voice was getting frantic, "Sharon has been assisting him for so long. Why didn't you choose her?"

"Okay okay calm down" Vikram shushed her, "you are spiraling again" he picked up a bottle of water and asked her to drink it. She did, in a go.

"What are you worried about?" He inquired once he saw her calming.

"Everything" She replied honestly. "I know about this convention. It's a big event, a big opportunity and I haven't even completed a year in this office, I don't have enough experience nor do I have your skills to hold attention and express" she worded her insecurities, somehow.

"are you mad?" Vikram repeated her tone, "don't you dare doubt your skills and experience. On paper experience can mean nothing in front of real life experience."

"Vikram, if I am replacing you, that means I have to be with Mr.Kapoor and give a presentation in front of everyone and I am bad at it" Priya blurted her insecurities.

"No you are not" Vikram shook his head, "you know, I literally took your notes and talked specifically about the topics you pointed out and it worked" He smiled, "If you can be so sure about those points and what will work, It won't be hard for you to give the presentation."

"What if I fumble" Priya looked lost.

"You won't" Vikram assured, "you only said it's a big opportunity, then you are getting it. Grab it, before it goes away. You deserve it" He looked keenly at her expressions and could see her considering the event, "Besides, Ram will be doing the heavy lifting anyways. You just chill."

Saying, he walked away after giving a light tap on her shoulder.

'Be chill' So easy for him to say. She took a deep breath before sighing.

--------

Ram was sitting at his desk with his hands on his head. The project was a success but it was not the time to relax. They now had a bigger task up in front of them. It was not like the convention made Ram nervous, it was his useless friend who backed out of the convention leaving him alone and now wants Priya to replace him.