Part 21

"Heyy..." Neha's voice went from excited to concerned to see Priya's disturbed face which she tried to hide under her sober gaze. She got more curious to see a Man behind her but giving them space, she let them enter.

"You okay!" Neha asked immediately holding Priya by her arm.

Priya nodded giving an assuring smile. Rajat who was going to say something stopped to see her smile. Even though she kept quite the whole ride, said nothing, here she stood strong as always, which is what he admires a lot.

"I think I should leave" Rajat said, assured that she will be fine by herself.

"Me paani lati hu (I'll bring water)" Neha moved towards kitchen

Priya went quite again, Rajat noticed but before he could say anything, she walked past the hall and disappeared into the room.

"Here" Neha snapped Rajat out of his thoughts.

"Thanks" He smiled at her taking the glass.

"Kya hua Priya ko? (What happened to her?)" Neha couldn't help enquire.

He just lowered his gaze and then looked at neha, "she will explain you better" Rajat kept it simple as the thoughts of scene boiled his blood. Seeing him pissed at the remembrance, Neha kept quite, surprised.

"Peehu kaisi hai? (How is peehu?)" Rajat asked changing the topic.

"Tests hogae hai, pura din nikal gaya hospital me, thak kar jaldi so gae. (Tests are done, took the whole day in hospital, she's tired and slept early)" Neha replied sensing he could be trusted to share the news.

He looked restless, Neha noticed but couldn't point at what made him. Hesitating at first, Rajat looked around playing with the empty glass in his hand.

"Can I?" Rajat finally spoke pointing at the door where Priya went.

Neha was reluctant at first, "I just want to see Peehu, that's it" Rajat assured. Neha being generous nodded and followed him just in case.

---------

Inside the dimly lit room, was Priya leaning on the bed besides her daughter, peehu.

As soon as her calm sleeping face came up Priya's vision, she felt every single agony, frustration and piled up emotions giving up, only serene calm claimed her and within seconds, she relaxed.

Priya's palm brushed against her forehead, her eyes were fixed to her sleeping face whilst her mind drifted back to the memories, some recent, some old, some pleasant, some harsh, she never blamed her past for anything, cause it gave her, her life, a reason to live, a reason to love, peehu.

Leaning more close, Priya pressed her lips on the pale skin of her daughter. She is getting ill more often these days, Priya felt a pang in her heart to see her daughter suffer at such a young age, but still, Peehu smiles bright, she even smiled before going in for her tests, that's her daughter, stronger than her and that gave her strength to fight each day.

Keeping a rhythm in her pat on her forehead, Priya tugged herself in the covers having no energy to even change. Keeping her arm around her daughter, she snuggled closer to her brushing her face to hers. Taking a deep breathe, she closed her eyes.

"I'll come back for you, wait for me" she recalled those faint words in her head before sleep could engulf her and a lone tear flowed from her eye.

"I am still waiting Param Ji" her heart called out, ruefully.

---------