Part 54

"Aajao Ram, khana kha lo (come Ram, have lunch)" Sudhir came to the rescue for both Priya and Ram after Mrs. Chadda had dropped that awkward question on them.

It was as if Priya and Ram were literally invisible to one another at that moment standing next to each other.

"Yeh mere Boss hai Mrs. Chadda (He is my Boss Mrs. Chadda)" was Priya who replied curtly and Ram just stood there with his mouth slightly opened in shock.

Mrs chadda acted an apology out "oh, maaf karna (oh, forgive me)" she faked a laugh "achha Priya, mein chalti hu, bachhe intejar kar rahe honge (Okay Priya, I'll take your leave, kids must be waiting for me)" saying the lady left as if nothing happened.

Priya, just gave a glance to see Ram's reaction to it and immediately regretted looking at him. He too was looking at her, his mouth still open from the shock and when their eyes met, he shut his mouth in a snap, looked elsewhere and she lowered her gaze.

"aise kyu khade ho dono? (why are you both standing like that?)" Vikram came towards them, "chalo khana khane (come, let's have lunch)" saying he dragged Ram and gestured to Priya to join and for the first time on this day, Ram was grateful to his friend.

"Ram tum yaha upar baith jao inke sath (Ram you come and sit here with him)" Sudhir suggested to Ram pointing at the small dining table where he and Bansi Kaka were sitting already.

"Nahi, mein yaha theek hu (No, I am fine here)" Ram shook his head, already sitting beside Sahil on the ground.

"aap log bhi baith jaiye (you all should sit as well)" He looked at the Gupta ladies who were standing there readying the plates for them.

"Ha ha, aap sab shuru kijiye hum baithte hai (yes yes, you guys start, we'll join in)" Shipra nodded.

"Arre, aise kaise, aap bhi baith jaiye (no no, you should sit as well)" Vikram tagged in.

"Sabhi baith gae toh serve kon karega?, hum baithte hai baadme aap sabhi ka hojaega tab (If everyone sits then who will serve? we'll sit later after everyone is done)" She said.

"Serve karne ka kya hai (what's there to serve)" Saying Vikram stood up from his place and went towards the kitchen where the bit utensils were kept, "Harsh, Sahil come" he asked picking up the big pot of rice. The two boys taking his queue picked the remainder and brought them to the hall where everyone was settled.

"Yeh yaha bichme rakh denge, sab apne hathon se le lenge jo chahiye (We will keep this in the middle and all can serve themselves)" Vikram advised.

"Aisa achha nahi lagta Vikram, aap sab baith jaiye, let us serve, aap sabhi mehman hai (this doesn't feel right Vikram, you all sit, let us serve, you are our guests)" Priya felt the need to speak.

"Mehman! (Guest)" Vikram stood in the center making a dramatic face, which looked real but Ram knew the act behind it, "Ek hi shabd me paraya kar diya tumne mujhe (you made me a stranger in just a word)" He sniffed his fake tears.

"Mera woh matlab nahi tha Vikram (That's not what I meant Vikram)" She went near him, unable to make his charade, "Pehli baar humare ghar aae hai sab, itni khatirdari toh karne do hume (you all have come to our house for the first time, let us show our hospitality at least)" She clarified.

Vikram pursed his lips "Tum nahi baithogi toh mein bhi nahi baithunga (I won't sit if you won't)" he continued with his act.

Priya shook her head and affirmed, "Thike, toh tum ruko mere sath, mein baki logon ko toh serve karlu (Okay, you wait with me, let me serve everyone else)" saying she pushed him and took hold of the pot and slid it further towards Neha who prepared the plates..