Part 19

"Naya kaam kaisa hai Priya?" The old lady looked at her granddaughter who was just back from her work.

"Sab acha hai dadi, kaam bhi acha hai" Priya replied, "par wo.." she stopped midway.

"Kya hua?" Concerned, the lady asked "bata na"

"Kuch seniors mere bareme complain kar rahe the, ki meri padhai bhi puri nahi hui, aur mujhe same salary mil rahi hai" Priya shrugged her shoulders.

The old lady had a proud smile, "hona hi tha, meri Priya hai hi itni hoshiyar" dadi caressed her cheek.

"Par dadi, mene aisa kuch kaha toh nahi unhe phir bhi wo.." a younger Priya whined sitting at the kitchen counter whilst her dadi worked on the dinner.

"Priya..." Dadi was to stay but Priya rolled her eyes, "janti hu dadi, mujhe ye sabke bareme nahi sochna chahiye, aur apne kaam par dhyan dena chahiye" she completed what her dadi was going to say.

Seeing her girl on the right track dadi had a serene smile, "kyuki humara kaam hi humari pehchan hoti hai, agar hum dusro jaisa bartaw kare, toh humme aur unme farak kya hai?" Dadi still spoke her wise words, "tum apna kaam imandari ke sath karo beta, baki upar wala dekh lega"

Priya nodded in affirmation, getting every word her dadi said. She is right as always.

"Acha.. hume 2 hafto me nikalna hai" Dadi informed but was surprised to see no response.

"Dadi.." She heard hesitation from Priya, "mujhe chutti nahi mil sakti kaam se" Priya closed her eyes, ready to get scold.

"Par tune wada kiya tha Priya" Dadi said in a grated tone surprising her.

"Ha janti hu" Priya agreed "par ab nayi job hai dadi, kaise..." She was to say but got interrupted, "mere liye aaja Priya" the old lady's voice broke, it was so brittle that it shook the young girl.

"Dadi, aap theek toh hai na!" Priya got down from the counter and kept her hands around her dadi inspecting her a bit.

"Me theek hu beta" dadi affirmed "par mujhe akela mat chod unlogon ke beech" dadi kept her hand on hers.

Priya had tears to see her dadi emotional, It's unusual for her dadi to have tears in her eyes and that made her own eyes moist.

"Me chalungi dadi" Priya confirmed.

---------

It was after her 12th board exams that she opted for a job in data entry. Being good at communication and a fast learner, Priya was selected on the basis of that which made a grapevine between the employees.

She was always underestimated but she grew stronger to.

It was just her 2nd month in the job when her sister's marriage was to happen. The turning point of her life. From the time they got to know about her cousins sisters marriage to be fixed, life was quite different.

She still wonders how her life would've been, if she had stuck to her plan to not attend it. But then her dadi's words and wish to attend the wedding made her do it.

Her dadi's sad face was still like a nightmare for Priya. Her dadi was never emotional and never broke down, she stood strong in every event, every circumstance and situation.

Sometimes, Priya envyed her dadi, if only she was a little brave and strong like her dadi, things would've been so easy.

Yes, maybe she was not strong as her dadi, but still she was her granddaughter. If not for the world, she has to stay strong for her life.