The Accomplice

The explanation she gave to her colleges and Mr. William was not elaborate but enough to gain their trust again. They were thankful that all the doubts were cleared and she was proved purely innocent. Everyone at the firm saw her as hard working, enthusiastic and someone who always abides by the law, although exceptions were always there. The work in her absence went smoothly and she was not loaded with a lot of files and unsolved issues all of a sudden, thanks to Mr. William. Y/N caught up with the work soon enough and was ready to focus on new projects.

It was Wednesday when Y/N received a text from Yujji. 'See you in the evening at 7,' it read. She could feel the tension building inside her. There were going to be lies, so many of them. Still unsure about what to say to Yujji, she tried to divert her mind and tried to concentrate on the files lying on her desk.

As promised, Yujji arrived at her office at seven in the evening. He smiled as he saw her coming out of the building. "How are you?" he asked as he pulled her into a quick hug.

"Very well, how are you?"

"I'm fine. Dinner?"

"I'll pay."

"It's on me this time."

"Okay. I'm not in a mood to argue."

"Let's go."

They decided to try the new restaurant opened near her office. The food was somewhat satisfactory. They stuffed their tummies and left for her apartment. Y/N knew that he was going to ask her so many questions and she wished for a miracle to happen, so that she would not have to answer.

As soon as they reached her apartment, Yujji began, "Why did they arrest you, Y/N?"

"They thought I killed John, my boss."

"Did you kill him?"

"Hell no."

Yujji sat on the sofa in the living room while Y/N went to her room to change into pajamas. She returned to the living room and sat beside Yujji. She took the remote to turn on the TV but Yujji took it from her and said, "We are talking about something important here."

Y/N nodded.

"Why did they think you killed him?"

"They collected some blood samples from the site and one of the samples matched my DNA."

"Was it your blood?"

"I would have been in the jail if it were my blood. You doubt me?"

"I don't know what to believe."

"Want some coffee?"

"I want answers."

"Go ahead."

"I want truth, Y/N," he said and gave her a look that made her want to tell him everything. "Please, just for once, don't lie to me."

She looked away and nodded.

"I will not ask anything just tell me everything. I promise no one will ever know a word."

She believed him. "I don't know where to start."

"From the first person you killed."

She took a deep breath and began, "Henry Baker. He was the first one. Remember, I was shot and hospitalized for more than a month? He was the one who shot me. He was a rapist and the victim of his shameless crime committed suicide because she was denied justice. I had two reasons to kill him. Mentioned both to you."

Yujji was shocked and was unsure about how to digest so much. "Carry on," he muttered.

"Next were the four guys that night when you walked me home. You know about them."