The Temple

Miwa had never been a morning person but sometimes she had to stay up all night and day, a part of training, she had been told. It was the dawn of another such training night when she found a dead body in the school premises. When Miwa took a closer look, she was filled with horror as it was none other than Yoshinobu Gakuganji, the strongest sorcerer and the oldest exorcist among them.

Miwa closed her eyes, counted to ten, and opened them again to see if the dead body disappeared. It did not. The fact that it was not an illusion made her stomach churn and she felt a strong urge to throw up. Although she controlled it and ran to inform Uthahime.

Utahime was as shocked as Miwa, not because the old man died but because he was butchered. As much as she knew, Yoshinobu had no enemies, not the type who could give him such a brutal death.

Immediate meeting was called. All the important and renowned sorcerers were present, and students were also invited. The seating was arranged according to the dignity of the people present. While all the strong and old sorcerers and principals were sitting in the middle of the room, regular teachers sat behind them and students sat at the end. Everyone was present except the first year student, Yujji. Not only his absence but also him being Sukuna's vessel put him under direct suspicion. Though the suspicion didn't last long as he arrived in pajamas with swollen eyes and sleep written all over his face. The discussion had already begun.

The meeting went on for hours and right after Utahime expressed her thoughts of knives or daggers could be the weapons used, Satoru, Yujji, Maki and Toge could only think of one name. Her sudden disappearance started to make sense.

Mio was informed about the murder. She was now certain that Y/N had not gone to visit her parents, she had been hiding from everyone. Mio expanded her search area to nearby cities and villages.

"That sight of blood is still as satisfying as before," Y/N said in a calm voice.

"That was unnecessary," Sukuna exclaimed. "He doubts you more than ever now."

"It doesn't make any difference, he never believed me anyway."

Sukuna raised an eyebrow. "And you still call him your friend?"

Y/N smiled and dropped her head. "To be honest, I stopped believing in friendship a long time ago. But this person changed everything. I kept lying to him but he never did anything to hurt me. When I was arrested, he was suspicious of me, yet he saved me. It was not hard for him to gather evidence. That old man had made up his mind to end my existence that day but Satoru saved me. When everyone hated me and called me a criminal, he tried his best to find the root of all the misery." She paused and looked at Sukuna. "I owe him my life. I can't thank him enough. I can't hate him. Even if he kills me, I can't hate him."

Sukuna was shunned. He felt the words freezing in his throat. Y/N had never talked so positive of someone else, not before him at least. 'Is she in love with him?' he thought.

"No, I am not in love with him, if that's what you are thinking."

Sukuna took a deep breath and looked at her. Was that all that he wanted to know? No, he had a lot more going in his head but one question slithered like a snake that couldn't be stopped. 'Does she love me?' He wanted to ask. He desperately wanted to find out whether she had forgiven him. Only if the words came out.

"Stop looking at me like that. You look scary."

He shifted his gaze to the glittering gateway. She might never love him again, who knew. He wanted to protect her as long as he could. Those sorcerers were cruel as they had been a thousand years ago and Y/N was definitely their target. As long as she agreed to stay in his world, she was safe.