34.

Waking up under the warmth of the snug sheets will never get old, ever. Even when the sheets aren't mine.

I'm surprised at the early morning sun trying to break through the crystal clear windows into Kai's room. I could feel the heat like it's breathing on my back and lightly tickling my neck, yet I didn't feel too hot under the covers. I lie flat on my back, my arms resting at level head height and holding the top of my pillow. I can smell chlorine in the room, and my best bet is that mine and Kai's hair drenched the pillows last night and we didn't even realise. God, I can already sense that my hair is a tangled mess.

As I lean my head to the left, I notice that the bed is empty, and that I'm the only one in it. I've woke up so early because I can hear hurried rustling, and Kai moving around the house. I groaned and closed my eyes, wondering why on Earth he's up this early. My Fitbit is showing that it's 6 o'clock, and it's literally the weekend! Then, I remember what Mason told us last night, and that little white-wash wave of devastation glooms over me like a dark cloud. Of course I'm upset that he's going away, especially after telling each other our feelings for one another last night, but it's part of his career. If I want to be here, then I'm going to have to suck it up and support him through it.

Kai walks in wearing smart black joggers and a red jumper. He looks tired, but he's most definitely awake as he looks around at his belongings on the floor. He points to everything, as if he's ticking off a checklist in his mind.

"Good morning." I greet him with a croaky voice as he walks into the room with another bag.

"You're up early?" He replies, looking to his phone at the time.

"And you are." I return with a smile, stretching my arms up in the air. "When is your flight?"

"Half ten departure." He answers, running a hand through his hair and gesturing to his bags on the floor. "Finishing off packing."

"You've got ages, just chill out for a bit." I tell him, turning onto my back brushing a few strands of hair off my face.

"I'm trying to pack, Cass." Kai chuckles, standing up and tossing a jumper towards the bag he brought in.

"And I'm trying to sleep, but you woke me up." I lie, raising an eyebrow at him with a grin. "Are you coming here or what?"

Kai sighs, then steps over his suitcase on the floor and falls on top of me, taking me by surprise. I quietly grunt as he lands, causing him to childishly snicker as he readjusts himself to lie his head on my chest, his dark hair tickling my chin. I've always found that having a weight on top of me is comfortable, and hearing or feeling a heart beat is soothing. Having both of these things on top me at once feel so reassuring, like I can relax with no worries in the world. I wrap my arms around his middle and close my eyes again, smelling fresh soap from where he's got up before me and washed the chemicals out his hair. His body weight gets heavier as he progressively gets more comfortable and laid-back, pressing me deeper into the mattress and tucking the duvet around me.

"Did you hear about Aidan?" Kai asks, his voice low as if he just woke up.

"What? No?" I frown, feeling very awake at the mention of Aidan. "What happened?"

"He blacked out in the car like he did at The Rooftop." Kai tells me, and I can feel his chest rumble as he finds Aidan's lack of responsibility funny. "Kepa and Andrea had to look after him."

"Of course they did." I sigh, shaking my head a little. "I feel bad for his future girlfriend."

"He might end up dating someone from one of the ladies teams." Kai states, fidgeting a little, only to settle a few seconds later. "Or meet someone at Cosmo's."

"He hates all the customers at Cosmo's, you guys are the only group he's enjoyed serving." I scoff, rolling my eyes. "It's like the Grinch possesses him for one shift."

"That's why the socials have a grudge against him, no?" Kai jokes. "Or had one."

"Probably." I chuckle in agreement.

After a few minutes of silence, and back shmoos, Kai returns to packing again, and I try my best to get ready as well. As I put on an old pair of his shorts and a sweater, which actually nearly fits me, I spot my dress from last night screwed up in a pile of washing. I rarely ever wear that dress, and now I might never wear it again, unless it somehow survives getting marinated in chlorine over night and shoved in the wash the next day.

"Are you ready?" Kai asks, holding all of his stuff at the door. "Sorry I've got to kick you out so early."

"It's fine, I've got to get to work for midday to edit those photos I took at the match." I shrug, grabbing everything I left here last night. "I still have your medal by the way, I'll give it back to you once we're at my place."

"I can't stop Cass, I'm late." Kai tells me, guiding me out his house and towards his Audi. "Sorry, I can't miss the flight."

"Yeah, that's understandable." I nod, helping him put his stuff in the boot.

I hold back a sigh, hiding it with a comforting smile as we get into the front of the car and drive towards my place. What am I going to do without them? My life outside of work revolves around the Chelsea team, and so does Aidan's. I've still got my final shift to cover at Cosmo's, but that isn't really my 'free time'. I don't work on the weekends, maybe I could go back to Bristol and see my family? I haven't spoken to them much since my career kicked off over social media. Maybe that would help; if Kai's returning home, then I should too. My family are probably wondering what the hell I'm getting up to if I'm constantly surrounded by celebrities.

Kai slowly pulls up on the curb outside my apartment buildings, but my legs don't want to move. I have no motivation to open the door and get out, I don't want to leave him. It's not like he's going forever! This isn't permanent Cassie! Grow up and get out!

"Thank you, goodluck with football!" I smile, unbuckling the seat belt and pushing the door open. "Text me when you get there?"

"Cass, wait-" Kai chuckles, lightly grabbing my hand, causing me to get back in the car.

"What?" I ask, itching to get to my apartment so I can let all of my emotions out, whether they're happy, gutted, relieved, whatever!

My eyes widen as Kai leans in, and my body seems to just freeze on the spot. He puts an affectionate hand on my cheek, then gently presses a light kiss against the other one. My heart yearns in my chest, screaming in victory yet begging for more. I suck my lips into my mouth to hide a smile, feeling my cheeks burning bright tomato red in front of Kai.

"Ok! Goodluck with the flight! Bye!" I waffle, frantically hopping out the car before I blurted out something ridiculous and embarrassing.

Holy shit-