Chapter 46: The Verdict

"Isn't that the Princess?" I murmured unconsciously eyes darting to the brown haired stunning woman across us dancing with a tall, brown skinned man perhaps a decade senior than me

Then Nikolai swung me causing me to peel my eyes off the princess and now Nikolai was facing them. I frowned at him. His demeanor just suddenly turned rigid, seemingly forgetting my existence already. Though it was fun watching him honestly, his posture turning stiff, stiffer than the wall. 

And that pique my interest. 

"You met her?" I inquired, but looking at him like an angry bull ready to charge at his prey any second established my assumption.

Nikolai seemed not hearing me. The hard lines of his face becoming prominent, and I stepped on his foot intentionally when he twirled me around, causing him to snapped his eyes at me, frowning. 

I smiled at him too sweetly and he looked a little abashed.

"What were you saying?" he asked. 

I rolled my eyes. 

"She's gorgeous," I remarked and he stared at me again , frowning. If he's playing innocent, then he was doing a good job, but I know my brother's too well. And they are good at feigning innocence. 

I raised one eyebrow and he shook his head. 

"She doesn't want anything with me," he finally conceded, then his hard stare once again directed to the couple.

I just shook my head. "If you want something, work hard for it. It will be all worth it in the end," I quipped and he just nodded, without saying anything. 

My eyes darted to the path my dad and Alex disappeared and saw my dad's tall frame at the refreshment area. I can see Alex's shoulder but the couple dancing, pirouetting blocked most part of him.

The music stopped and Nikolay escorted me back heading to the direction of Mom. 

"No, let's go find Alex and Dad," I said and I detoured, hand tucked in Nikolai's inner elbow. His eyes longingly drifted over his shoulder towards the Princess' direction. I smiled when I caught her stared back at my brother but she hastily looked away when she was caught gazing at him.

"I think I can manage it from here," I said as I pulled my hand away and dropped it to my side. "Go and dance with her," I cajoled, and Nikolai shook his head. 

I widened my eyes at him. "Just go and ask her a dance, then please try not to be an uptight douche. Women likes warm men, not a cold, arrogant and uptight even if it's face and stature is an overqualified GQ contender." I laughed and Nikolai scowled at me. 

"That's what I'm talking about. If you look like that all the time, like a grim reaper, she's gonna avoid you as much as she can," I pointed out, one finger pointing at his lips that is now on a thin line.