Chapter 23: Breaking news

Clara Bell

"Mi Princesita," dad called out but I ignored him. I'm so mad. I wish there's something I could break at this moment to ease that raging temper roiling within me.

As soon as the limo stopped, I quickly climbed out of it, ignoring my father's pleading and marched to the up-steps to the front door.

"Not you too, mi amor!" I heard dad whined behind me.

"Clara Bell!" dad called out rather growl, and it was filled with desperation and frustration at the same time. My legs instinctively came to an abrupt halt and waited for him without turning and stared into the distance rigidly. Within me was like a raging storm ready to cause havoc. My teeth clamped tightly together trying to hold my temper at bay.

Dad stood in front of me, his face marred with regrets. "Look," he said, his tone softening. His gaze dropped to the floor for a second, then he met my sharp gaze again with a sullen look. "I apologize for that drastic decision and...and without..." —he sighed— "without your consent..." he trailed off. "I know," —his voice raise back up to normal— "I shouldn't decide for you. And you are right!" his head bobbed up and down. "You're not a kid anymore," dad sighed. A painful truth crossed his face, then he shook his head. At that moment, those fine lines under his green eyes and his forehead gave away his true age. "I always like to think that you were all still babies," he forced out a low cheerful chuckle. His eyes crinkled even more and he looked even older. My jaws relaxed and so my whole body. My anger suddenly simmered down until all I can feel is sympathy for him. My heart reached out for him.

"Dad, I know you worry too much about us, about me... but I can assure you, I can perfectly handle myself," one hand reached out for him and he tenderly pulled me in his embrace.

"I know, I know..." dad said, kissing my temple briefly like he always does. "But know that I'm not sorry for proposing that marriage, mi princesita," he said, his breath fanning against the top of my head.

I quickly pulled myself away and glared at him. "Dad!" I snapped.

"You should understand, mi princesita that the whole nation was feasting on Alexander's indecent photos in front of your condo build—"

"Dad!" I shrieked out, cutting him off mid-sentence. I felt my eyes gotten wide in sheer embarrassment while I stared him down. My whole body heated up as the picture of Alex clad only in boxers flashed through my head. Shaking the picture out of my mind, I spoke sharply. "Nothing happened, okay?!" I snapped. I didn't intend to sound defensive but that spark of interest then followed with a deadly look on my father's eyes said it was.

"Do you think the people would believe you? They will feast on your name, and... I don't honestly damn care if...you are not a royalty," dad's head tilted to the side, reminding me of who I am, of who we are, and the reason why I can't afford to make such a scandal. And which also reminds me of my grandfather who hates reporters and most especially, their false and unsupported conclusions.

Me being a model already brought dishonor to the Markovich name, not that a model is a shameful job. Grandpa is still very traditional and conservative.

And dad is right. How could I prove that nothing happened between us? And if our relationship goes in public, then it will only confirm their speculations.

"And with Alex's reputation, I hate to think that I also doubted his intentions!" dad's facial muscles tightened. "He dated Claire. He knows you two are close," dad said.

An involuntary scoff slipped out of my mouth. And that also reminds me of that background check I had asked him to do for me. "What about that information I asked you to gather about her activities?" I asked absentmindedly, unintentionally dodging the topic.