Chapter 12: Rebel

Clara Bell's POV

"I would never betray a friend, Claire. Never!" the sternness in my voice caused her to fall into silence. "But..." I paused briefly, my tone sharp and stern. "I would never have a second thought dumping one when I felt like I've been sold down the river by my trusted friend." I finished. 

"Of course," Claire chuckled. I sensed no remorse, no fear, and I shut my eyes briefly, my teeth clenched. 

"I'll see you when I get back to New York, Claire. I hope you have a good rest back in Greece. Please send my regards to your family," I said in a dismissive tone.

"Sure. Thanks, Boo."

I hang up and sat on the couch, feeling burnt out. 

Alex sauntered back to the living room, looking imposing in his pinstripe gray suit. His Armani trousers that matched his coat did little to hide his muscled thighs. 

"I'm just meeting an investor. I should be back before dinner," he said, like a husband to his wife. "Will you wait for me then?" he asked, fixing his dark blue tie as he spoke, his eyes holding my gaze.

I let out a sigh. 

Alex is the kind of man who doesn't turn down a challenge, and he was challenged by me. 

I just lifted my shoulders into a half-shrug. Not really committing myself to him. "I take that as a yes," he said before narrowing our gap and then stood in front of me. His shin against my knees. 

"Don't go out, alone," he said, and I watched him awe-struck to my disbelief, and before I could move, he leaned in, my eyes following him like a puppet and his lips met the top of my head. "I won't stay out long," he said as he stood upright.

My face crumpled from what just happened, but I couldn't deny the fact that it brought warmth to my heart. 

Why is he acting like that now? Why can't he just be the arrogant, assholes Alex?

I stared at my phone, heart sank in disappointment. Alex was acting like a boyfriend now and I don't like the idea of him ordering me around like his submissive woman, the fact that it won't ever happen. 

Brittany probably boarded the plane. I need company today as I don't have plan to wait for him like an obedient girlfriend.

But I wasn't his girlfriend! I reminded myself.

I contemplated who's here that could lighten my mood. Then Tammy flickered in my thoughts. She's easy and bubbly, she's perfect for a company as my friend were in different states. 

I dialed her number.

It didn't take long for the line to connected. 

"Hello," she panted. 

"Hey, Tammy. I was just wondering what are you up to this afternoon?" I asked, pulling myself up to my feet, then plodded towards my bedroom.

"Just about done working out," she answered, breathing heavily. 

My hope dropped and I let out a soft sigh. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll talk to you—" 

The sound of a machine stopped.  "It's alright, Clara Bell!" she cut through my words. "What's up?" she asked, her voice light and warm.

I felt suddenly shy to ask her company. She had asked me many times before, and I politely declined it. 

"I'm just bored," I said, stopping in front of my door, then slowly pushed the door wide enough for me to walk in.