Chapter 12

I was playing with the pups, happily smiling as I blew on their stomachs. They yipped in happiness as they batted me with their paws. They even tried to playfully attack me, but it always ended in failure. I chuckled as I played with them. They playfully nipped me as well, trying to get a rise out of me.

      Suddenly the smell of blood hung in the air. It wasn't from any kills but from one of my mates. My body shook as I slowly got up. The pups could sense my unease, they whined as they tried to cheer me up. Sesshomaru came in, flinching when he saw me.

      "Who's hurt?" I had a feeling who it was just by the disturbance in the mark, I needed to know.

      "Parker." He told me. "He was attacked by beastmen, Bart was the leader." He tried to get me to sit down. "Harvey is in the middle of treating him. It's best to stay in here until he's finished."

      Winston came in, thankfully he came back without blood on him but I could still smell it. He looked to me with a worried frown and came over to me.

     "It's a good thing we have Harvey here. Otherwise, I don't think any doctor would have treated him." Winston told me.

     "Why?"

     "The doctors here are all part of the ape clan. They won't willingly heal males. Also Rosa's been close with the ape clan lately. With her word, no doctors will come to heal him." Winston stated.

      "What does she have against me....never mind I know why." I sighed. "So why is she still hanging onto the ape clan, especially when they attacked you?"

      "She doesn't have tetra-marked spouses. She needs all the allies she can get. Her tetra-marked father is simply used by her. He listens to her, so he doesn't believe me anymore." Winston said.

      "I see. Your brother cherishes his daughter and doesn't want to see her harmed." I sighed, placing my hand to my cheek. He looked to me with his brow arched. "You already doing it with Rin, Izayoi and Inukimi. But now that Rosa's allies with the ape clan, will they start targeting the leopard clan?"

      "No. The ape king wants power for himself. He'll have to strike down the tiger clan. Rosa's father is being tricked. The ape king is powerful and ambitious. It's normal for her father to believe him." Winston sighed.

      "Why is that? Does the ape clan have special powers or something even though he is double marked?" I asked him.

      "In a way. The powers of the ape clan are different from other beastmen. They don't specialize in battle. They deal with here." Winston pointed to his mind. "They can do a lot with the mind. Such as communication with deities."

      "Something like your holy powers mate." Sesshomaru sat down next to me, gently rubbing my knuckles. The pups whined, then climbed upon my lap. I nodded.

     "What are your plans? Can't you become the tiger king?" I asked him.

      "Do you want me to? If you do, I can..."

      "No...that's not what I mean..." I sighed. "It was a casual question. Don't assume anything, please. It would hurt to see you have to kill your brother for the position."

      Winston looked slightly disappointed but he blushed at my concern. "I don't want to keep the way things are. Because if I don't kill Rosa's father, the ape kill will definitely scheme with the wolf king to kill me...so if I want to move up, I'll have too...kill the present king."

      I frowned, then gently clasped Winston's hand. He looked to me with his silver eyes. He gave me a small smile, trying to play it off but I knew better.