Chapter 54

I was suddenly stuffed into a bag, which ticked me off. I didn't look like a sack of potatoes. Then I was tossed onto the back of a hard shell. So I was right about the scorpions. I tried desperately to move my healing my reiki around my body but for some reason my power was blocked. It was only then did I start to panic.

      Maru! I screamed in panic.

     Mate, what's wrong?

     Scorpions have me. I think I hear him going across the desert. I'm also here him shift through the sand. I think we are going to head in one of the hidden tunnels. I tried using my reiki to counteract their paralyzing smoke but it's not working for some reason. Please, help!

     I'm on my... The connection to our link broke when I fell through the sand on top of a scorpions back. The sudden drop in temperature told me we were now in the tunnel.

     We had traveled these tunnels for several hours now. I faintly listened to the sounds around me, trying to figure out which direction I was going. I could sense much, but other presences in the tunnels. It sounded like other beastmen. So my theory of the City of Flames used these tunnels was correct. It made me wonder though on what else they used these for besides kidnapping females.

      Suddenly the scorpion stopped, then collapsed to the ground. It let out a soft shriek, which made my heart leap. I heard something retract from the body before the sound of footsteps thumped closer to me. My heart began to race when I tried to sense who this was.

     "My, my miko. You can't seem to stop yourself from getting kidnapped." A familiar voice said, making a shiver go up my spine.

     Just who I needed. I went to open my mouth but he slammed his hand over my mouth. The cloth the only thing keeping his hand away from skin.

     "Don't talk. There about a hundred beastmen in this tunnel alone who have been rejected by their females. If they hear your voice, don't even think about escaping from this place alive or even worse, violated." He whispered into my ear as he picked me up onto his shoulder. "I'll bring you to the ruler of City of Flames. He will be able to protect you until your mates come for you."

     I arched my brow and looked to the place where I assumed his head was. He softly chuckled.

     "You're probably wondering why I'm helping you?"

     I nodded against his hand, which slowly removed himself off my mouth so I had a better time breathing. He sighed.

      "I grow tired of the fighting. The jewel is pretty much useless to me the day we transfered here. I only found out the second time I was transported away by that thing. It only responds to you now." He said. "Also the second time I was transported away, I felt the anger and revenge of the demons vanish from my body. The only thing I have now is my human emotions. I know I can't change my past but I'm hoping to change my future. Even if it's a little bit at a time. That's the reason I removed Miroku's wind tunnel."

      He suddenly became quiet and the arm that was wrapped around me tightened. The way he tightened was like with my mates. He was warning me to be quiet. We were in a dense area of beastmen presences. The are was extremely murky, filled with the smell of sweat, blood and rot. I could feel bile rise up in my throat.

       "Just bare with it miko, just until we are in the clear." He whispered to me under his breath.

       "Okay." I faintly whispered but it seems that I was heard. There was a dead silence in the area, expect for breathing and the sound of falling sand. They were focusing on Naraku and I.