Chapter 37

I sat at the table, looking at the food before me. I leaned on my hand, poking it around. I just didn't have the appetite. I could feel everyone stare at me, wondering why I was spaced out. I sighed, saying that I wasn't hungry and went outside. Today was sunny, not raining. I guess we were getting a reprieve from the rain. Wasn't sure how long though.

     I sighed as I looked to the sky. I stayed like that for most of the day. I watched as my mates went to do their business while the children played in front of me. They were growing so much and they were getting very strong. They wore themselves out by noon and they all surrounded me, asking me for a song. I smiled as I looked to them. I sang the song father sung to me when I was a little girl. I made sure they were all under the shade of the trees as we relaxed.

      When I finished the song, I smiled down at my children, who were sleeping soundly. I moved a piece of Toga's hair from his face and placed it behind his ear. He smiled in his sleep as he snuggled up to his siblings. I mentally chuckled at this. Suddenly I heard panting in front of me as well as a presence. I looked up, finding a black fox in front of me. I tilted my head as I stared at the black fox. I softly got out from underneath the children before walking out of the shade.

      I heard the fox's breaty hitch as it stared at me. I looked closer at the fox, it's eyes were the most beautiful shade of blue. They reminded me of Tigerlily's and my father's eyes. My heart stopped as I stared at this fox. This fox seemed familiar, though we've never met. It's eyes looked at me with fondness and love. Suddenly the fox morphed into a man, who immediately wrapped a animal skin skirt around him.

      My eyes watered as a familiar man stood in front of me. My throat tightened as I looked at him. I pinched my arm hard, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Pain settled there. My lips quivered before a happy, yet sad cry escaped my lips.

       "Daddy!" I screamed as I ran over to the man. I dove into his awaiting arms and nuzzled his chest. "Daddy... daddy... daddy." I wept hard. His one arm wrapped around me, gently stroking my hair in a loving manner. "I'm so sorry Daddy. I...I should have listened. If it wasn't for me..."

     "Kagome, sweetheart. It's not your fault. It's a father's honor to protect his family. You tried to save me and there is nothing wrong with that. Do not and I repeat DO NOT blame yourself." He whispered into my ear.

     "But... but you died protecting me." I whimpered.

     "Shh...it's okay. I was happy to know you were safe. When I passed, I was somehow transferred to this world. I gained a new form as you can see." He told me. His black tail wagging, his ears twitching. I softly giggled. "My, you have grown into a beautiful young lady." He smiled at me.

      "And you're still handsome as ever." I smiled.

      "Of course." He puffed out his chest.

      "Your ego is still enormous as well." I chuckled, nuzzling him again. He chuckled as he gave me a tighter hug as if I was going to vanish this time. I gently pulled away. "Daddy, stay here. I need to grab someone." More like some people.

     He nodded. I smiled before I ran inside the house after I placed a barrier around the children. I grabbed ahold of Sota, which startled him but he didn't question it. I then grabbed ahold of Mom, which startled Lyell who she was talking to. I dragged them both down and grabbed ahold of Gramps.

    "Kagome, what's wrong?" Mom asked.

     "For heavens sake child, what are you doing?" Gramps scolded me. I smiled and turned my head to the three of them.

      "I have a surprise for the three of you." I smiled as I dragged all of them outside of the door. I let go of their hands and then ran over to my father. I heard two gasps before I turned around to face them. Sota looked at the man, confused. He looked from me, Gramps and then mom before looking at the man again.