Chapter 30

Well, you guys asked for it, so here goes nothing! (See how I just turned me being a big baby seeking affirmation into this all thing being your fault? ...You're welcome :P)

A bit under 5k words for an update late by a bit under 5 years. It's almost poetic!

It might not be exactly what you hoped for, but honestly, it's the first scenario in five years that actually led to a full chapter, so I'm not too mad about it. Hopefully you won't be either!

Thank you so much for your comments and your enthusiasm. I must admit that I posted the message and immediately went to take a bath and watch The Office because I didn't want to obsessively wait around and refresh my notification page. And you guys really delivered, I came back to nearly 30 notifications and it kept coming. So thank you for all the love, and I really hope you'll enjoy this.

---

Lauren readjusted herself for what felt like the hundredth time. Her eyes shut tight in reaction to the pain the slight movement caused. God, this was bad.

She felt Normani's hand nudge her thigh and laugh at what had been said. She had no idea what had been said. She wasn't even exactly sure who they were even talking to, honestly.

She took a deep breath and tried to focus back on what was happening. Interview, right. Radio interview! Actually a good news, at least no cameras involved.

"...We're so proud of what we've managed to accomplish together, and how much we've all grown on the way. This tour feels really special, you know. We're more experienced, so it's a bit less nerve wracking, but this time we also get to sing in those amazing places that we never thought we'd get to play in. It's hard work, but it's an amazing experience."

Normani kept a smile on her face as she turned toward Lauren and quickly widened her eyes to signal that she needed to say something.

"Yes, I totally agree. And our audience has been amazing. We thought it was amazing the first time, but this tour has been unbelievable. Nothing keeps you going quite like the kind of crowds we've had waiting for us each night."

Thankfully that was the last question of the interview, and it was finally time to leave and go back to their hotel for the night. Seated in the back of the car, Lauren closed her eyes once again and took measured breaths to try and power through the pain. Ten minutes ride. She could do this. As long as she could maintain the seatbelt away from her chest, it should be manageable.

"Lauren, this cannot go on like this."

"It's fine, don't worry."

"It's not fine. I can see that it's hurting really bad, and there's no way you can go on for another day like this."

"It's not a day. We'll be back to the buses by midday tomorrow."

Lauren was clenching her teeth at this point. She just wanted some quiet, she couldn't do this right now. She just had to hold it together, and tomorrow everything would be fine. This all nightmare would be over, and everything would be back to normal.

"Lauren..."

"Please, Normani... Just... Not now, ok?"

Normani sighed and just held out her hand for Lauren to squeeze as each bump on the road made the pain flare up.

She was worried... and also annoyed, but mostly because she was worried. Management had had the brilliant idea to spring some promo on them. Which wasn't inherently bad or surprising at this point, but of course they had felt the need to split the girls, and of course Camila and Lauren couldn't go together. Because certainly the world would just collapse on itself, right? Fucking idiots...