Chapter 11

I'm finally back, guys!! Sorry for taking so long, but life was a bit crazy (I never want to move again...!)

Thank you for all the comments and votes, you guys are awesome! Here's an extra-long chapter for you, I hope you'll enjoy it! Let me know in the comments what you think!

---

Lauren woke up to the sound of whimpers. It had first materialized in her dream, her little dachshund turning into a sort of giant Cerberus running after her and a whimpering Camila instead of playfully rolling on his back. The sudden shift in her dream had brought her back to her senses, she had then realize the lack of weight on top of her or heat beside her. It was with a frown that Lauren opened back her eyes, only to be met with the sight of Camila huddled up against the headboard of the bed. Her face was hidden against her knees, but from the muffled sound she could hear and the slight shaking of her shoulders, it was clear that Camila was really upset.

"Baby, come here, love."

It seemed to only make her cry harder and curl up even tighter on herself. As Lauren sat up, she felt the mushroom necklace by her side and grabbed it. She pulled herself close to Camila, and gently pulled her on her lap even as she was slightly protesting.

"Shh, babygirl, what's wrong? Did you have a bad dream?"

She didn't answer, just pressed her face against Lauren's chest. Lauren wanted to understand what was happening, but knew that she needed to calm her down first. Her breath was short and way too fast, and she could feel Camila's pulse racing under the hand cradling her face. She pulled her even closer to her body, gently rocking them, and murmuring sweet reassurances.

Camila was battling with herself. A part of her just wanted to cuddle into Lauren, forget about her nightmare, and just let her make her feel better, but she was still far too troubled by her dream. It had felt all too real, too plausible. It could ruin them. She could ruin them.

"Alright, how about you take back your paci, baby?"

Lauren didn't know what else to do. Clearly, her baby was devastated, but she still had no idea what had triggered such a reaction. What she had not expected was for Camila to push the necklace away from her mouth, refusing to take it, which only made her cry harder than she was before.

"Camzi, what's going on? Do you want your bottle, baby? Do you think it would help?"

This only made her cry more and try to fidget out of her grip. Comforting her wasn't helping, so she had to find another solution. Without a word, she got up and grabbed Camila, Nala, her blanket and the mushroom, and walked to the chair in the corner.

"Listen to me, baby. You're not punished, but I need you to calm down. I want you to calm down enough to come and tell me what happened, alright? I'll be right there, you can call me whenever you need me, understood?"

Camila just kept wriggling on her seat like a distressed worm, refusing to look at or answer to Lauren. The latter decided to be patient with her, on the back of her mind she couldn't forget that it was all new to the small girl, and that it might still be very overwhelming for her. She just put three kisses on Camila, and got up to clean stuff around the room.

Camila felt bad, and angry, and sad, and small, and just...so overwhelmed by everything! The images kept flashing in her mind. What would people say? What would happen to them if anything ever filtered? It could be anything, a picture, some audio, those days nowhere was really safe! She couldn't imagine ever talking about this to her own parents, how was she going to deal if the whole world knew? Worst of all was the knowledge that she desperately wanted it. Even now, with all this, holding off from reaching for Nala and rushing into Lauren's arms was physically painful. The pull was so strong to just let go and not question anything... But she couldn't! And here they were! Just taunting her on her lap! Before she could even think about it, she was throwing the necklace across the room, blinded by rage and anguish! Just as she was grabbing Nala to do it again, she heard Lauren.