Chapter 20

Hello there, everyone :P ! New chapter for you, people! Nearly 6k, but not proofread yet (cause I'm tired, it's midnight on a Friday, and I'm tired...What happened to me??)! I hope you'll enjoy! Thanks for all the comments and votes, your love motivates me to write (just saying :P)

Enjoy!

---

Camila was sitting in the plane, Single Ladies playing on loop in her iPod as she made the spinner on Lauren's ring spin. She'd never get over how Lauren could just brighten even her darkest days. She was already missing her, but she was happy to know that Lauren was spending some time with her mom, and that she would spend the whole evening with her siblings and parents, gorging herself with homemade Cuban food. Just imagining the scene was making her smile like a goof.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Taking her eyes away from Lauren's ring, she looked up at her mom who was looking at her with a tender expression.

"Uhm...Nothing mami, just got lost in thoughts for a bit."

"Well it seemed like they were some very happy thoughts, Mija."

"Yeah...Yeah, they are"

Camila's silly grin was back in place full force. She couldn't help it, as much as things were hard and complicated, nothing had ever felt as good as being with Lauren. She looked back up at her mom that was looking at her with scrutinizing eyes, trying to find where the changes in her daughter were coming from.

Sinuhe couldn't place it exactly, her daughter just looked happier. She also looked healthier, and had that sparkle in her eyes that she hadn't seen in a long while. She felt like she was missing something, but as long as Camila was happy, it was enough for her. It had been a lesson she had had to learn the hard way when Camila had finally come out to them.

If she could, she would go back in time in an instant, and just pull her daughter in her arms, telling that it was okay, that they loved her no matter what, and that the world would learn to love her just as the wonderful person she was. Instead, she had been caught short, her mind had first been blank, because who would thought that the teenager with posters of boys all over her walls could turn out to not like boys? And how could she really be sure? She had hardly ever been with boys, so maybe she was just a bit confused because she was surrounded by girls all the time? And what about her career? She was in the public eye, it was one thing to be rejected by the people of your home time, but what if it was the whole world rejecting you, sending you hateful messages and ruining you and your group's chances? So many scenarios had run through Sinuhe's mind, and her first conclusion had been that it wasn't a good idea. It was ridiculous, and didn't make sense, but the next thing she knew she was looking at her daughter and telling her just that, that she didn't think it was a good idea. Sometimes at night she could still see the look Camila gave them, if the TV hadn't been on, she was sure she could have heard Camila's heart shatter in her chest. As if finally registering what had happened, she had tried to explain, but the haunted look in Camila's eyes wouldn't go away, and her daughter had just left the room.

It had taken days before they were all able to sit down and properly talk about it. This time, both Alejandro and her were ready, and had been able to explain the source of their concern to their daughter. It was stupid really, it wasn't like she had chosen to be that way, Sinu knew that now, but it had taken efforts on all parts involved for them to get there, and she was proud of her family for getting there.

"Kaki? Isn't that Lauren's ring? She had the same one at the hospital."

Something finally clicked in Sinu's mind when she saw how bad she flushed.