1.

Niall's POV

I sighed, glancing at the clock for what must have been the hundredth time as I waited for class to end. Sometimes, I felt as if there were more important things in life than school. Particularly writing notes for History.

The teacher continued to talk, the class doing what was told and writing down the notes on the board, though not really with the enthusiasm that was expected. I wasn't the best at History, there was too much writing for me and it wasn't exactly something I found interesting. I mean, I was able to pass it but that was it really, I didn't excel at it.

I didn't actually excel at any subject. I tried as hard as I could in each subject, but there wasn't anything I was amazing in. I wasn't anything like Louis, who was probably the smartest person in the school. He just happened to be one of those lucky people who were smart without actually needing to try.

Louis and I were very close. I was one of the fortunate people that were able to say that Louis Tomlinson was their friend. Well, he was my best friend. He'd been my best friend since we were children.

I shook my thoughts away and looked over to see Louis quickly scribbling down the notes, he somehow could write them down fast, yet still have them neat, whereas mine looked like a ten year old's handwriting.

I tried my best to pay attention to the remainder of the lesson but I was extremely thankful when the bell finally rang. I stood up from my desk and waited patiently for Louis to pack up his things before we left to go to lunch.

Louis and I were rather similar people, though we had our differences. We were both probably the shortest boys in our year level. We both had brown hair but I had started dying it blond when I was younger and almost always decorated it with a flower crown. 

Strangely, it was our personalities that differentiated us the most. I was incredibly shy and quite possibly socially anxious, whilst Louis was social and outgoing, quite literally a ball of talkative energy.

That was okay, though. I knew that some of the best friendships involved differing personalities. Louis and I got along well and we balanced each other out. That was all that mattered in our friendship. 

One of the first things that Louis and I had in common, was that we were both completely and undoubtedly gay and we were both proud of that. We had no reason not to be. We weren't bullied because of it or anything, our school was pretty much accepting.

For the most part, that is.

~

We walked into the cafeteria and sat at the table we usually sit at, next to where our other friend Zayn was sitting. As usual, Zayn had his head buried in his notebook, as he was writing something in his messy writing. This was usual for Zayn, he didn't really go anywhere without that book close by.

Zayn was more of a quiet person. He used to have a rather bad reputation around the school but he was honestly harmless. He just happened to be quiet and antisocial. Though it wasn't shyness like me, he generally just disliked most people.

It didn't help that we were constantly surrounded by judgemental teenagers. They weren't exactly the friendliest to people like Zayn. Louis and I were the only people that knew what Zayn was really like.

The three of us were the outsiders of sorts. Different from everyone else. But it was in the good way. There were people that had it worse.

I looked up to Zayn a lot, he was like my older brother. Louis had thought for quite some time that I liked Zayn in a more than friends kind of way but I was quick to deny it. Even if I did, Zayn was practically in love with Perrie Edwards, the epitome of the typical beautifully breathtaking blonde who was really hard to fault.