17.

Harry's POV

Once I had made it back to my house, I walked up the drive and slammed my front door shut behind me, not caring about disrupting my mother. I climbed up the stairs and rushed to my room, once again slamming the door behind me, leaving me in total darkness. I felt along the wall for the light switch and when I finally managed to locate it, I flicked it on, filling my bedroom with light.

I almost felt breathless. The sudden shift in the way I treated Niall kind of scared me. I felt as though rushing out of his house was the best option. Generally when people panicked they made rash decisions, which included running from your problems.

What happened to the person who hurt Niall and didn't give a shit about it? Of course, I was still capable of doing that but I didn't want to. That was what was really confusing me. 

I wondered what Niall was doing after I had run off. Was he sitting there in confusion? Or had he just gotten up and forgot about it as if it never happened? I shouldn't have really cared that much but I did. I wanted to know what Niall thought of me. 

I obviously hadn't told him anything about what my past was like but I knew that he had gotten some sort of understanding. The short amount of time I had known Niall, I already knew that he was the kind of person who cared deeply about others but I wasn't sure if he actually cared enough about me to wonder what had happened to me.

Not that I actually planned to tell him but the thought of someone aside from Liam actually giving a fuck about me felt pretty nice. Niall may never know but I found myself smiling at the thought of him possibly caring about me. Usually, when I thought of Niall in this light, I would have at least tried to stop the smile from appearing on my face. This time, I didn't fight it.

~

The next morning I awoke feeling just as tired as I did when I went to sleep the night before, almost as if I hadn't slept at all. Even if this was the first night in a long time that I had properly slept for more than five hours. 

There were a lot of different reasons for this. Maybe it was because I was generally out until the early hours of the morning most nights. I generally tried to stay away from sleep as much as I could, so getting drunk and having sex provided a distraction from going to sleep. 

Or perhaps it was the nightmares that I had relatively often. Though I didn't get them as much as I used to, they were still a particularly familiar part of my life. No one really knew about them, aside from Liam, but as far as he knew I had stopped getting them several years ago. 

However, I assumed that Liam knew me well enough to know that I still had them, considering he could read me like an open book. 

Maybe it was a bit dumb of me to hide them from him, considering he already knew everything else about me, but I was ashamed to admit to him that I was still being tortured in my sleep. 

~

I felt Liam tense next to me and I turned around to immediately catch sight of both Niall and Louis. I was about to tell Liam to go and talk to Louis, as I knew he wanted to but he was already heading over there. Unfortunately, he had dragged me along with him in what I knew to be an attempt to force me and Niall into closer proximity.

"Liam, what the fuck are you doing?" I questioned him exasperatedly, waiting for him to let go of my wrist.

I may not have disliked Niall like I used to but that didn't mean I wanted to speak to him at the moment. We weren't friends, it wasn't as if it was normal for the two of us to converse for no reason.