31.

Harry's POV

"So...what's going on with you and Niall?" Liam asked, sitting up on my bed, in which he was previously laying on. I knew what he was implying. He seemed to be overly concerned about Niall and I making ourselves an official couple. 

I wordlessly shrugged, walking over to the bed and sitting, running a hand through my messy curls and letting out a small sigh, to which Liam could clearly hear.

"What?" he questioned. 

"It's not that I don't want to make things more serious. I really do, it's just that I'm scared. I like him. A lot. So I shouldn't be scared but I am."

"What are you scared of?" he asked, causing me to shrug again.

"Being close to him. I get that what we are now is pretty intimate, but putting a label on it will just remind me that every little thing that I do will concern Niall. I don't even know why he likes me to be honest. I fuck up a lot and that won't do him any good," I admitted.

"Harry, just because you fuck up a lot, it doesn't mean that you're a bad person. Niall sees the good in you and he doesn't care about what happened in your past," he tried to reassure me, using the same tactic he always used; telling me that having Niall was what I needed. Sure, maybe he had a point, but I couldn't help but feel like it would be selfish of me to pull Niall into my life purely for my own feelings. 

I voiced this out to Liam, who rolled his eyes at my concerns. 

"You don't need to be all noble about this. It's not like you're dragging him into a relationship when you don't care about him. You like him, right? You want to like...go on dates with him, kiss him and all that?" he questioned. 

It was now my time to roll my eyes. Of course, I really did like Niall. And if I really thought about it, I wanted to do the things Liam mentioned, but it sounded so incredibly sappy and unlike myself when spoken out loud. 

"I mean-- yeah, but that doesn't mean I should drag him into shit," I huffed, knowing Liam would never truly understand why I felt like this. 

"There's your problem, Harry. You think you're dragging him into shit but you aren't. If you both like each other then that should be enough for you. Even just by looking at him, I can see just how much he cares about you and if he wants to be there for you, then you aren't forcing him into anything."

He was right. I knew that he was. Though after everything I had been through, proper commitment wasn't something I trusted. I didn't need to listen to Liam. What Niall and I had was perfectly okay for now. There was no need for me to rush into anything. Mine and Niall's relationship will move at its own pace. 

Niall's POV

"You'll tell me if something happens, right?" Louis asked, killing the car's engine and turned to look at me.

"Of course I will. Why wouldn't I?" I asked him, looking up from my lap to look at him. As I expected, he was staring at me with the look that suggested that he didn't believe me.

"Are you sure you want me to answer that?" he asked.

I huffed, knowing fully well that Louis didn't exactly trust me with things like this. Not that he had a reason to trust me, considering this wasn't the first time I didn't honestly tell him about my feelings. It took Louis two weeks to get me to open up to him about Carter. I played it off like I was perfectly okay and for those two weeks, Louis believed me.

"I promise you, if something happens to me, you'll be the first person I tell," I told him.

He let out a sigh and nodded, reaching over to grab my hand in his own.