22.

Harry's POV

I was scared. I had gone from a cold, heartless jerk to someone who had basically poured their heart out to someone that they hadn't even known for a year. Liam wasn't even able to get answers out of me that quickly, but Niall somehow managed to get me to tell him one of my deepest secrets.

Though I had no real reason to be scared. Judging by the way that Niall had reacted, it didn't seem like he was judging me in any way. I had no idea why Niall's opinion of me mattered so much but it did.

As soon as I saw that he was safely inside his house, I drove off, though deciding against going back to my home. I knew that if I were to go back, mum would ask questions about Niall. Questions I wasn't feeling up to answering.

I knew that she would definitely ask them regardless of how long it would take me to come home but I would like to delay them as much as I possibly could. So, instead of going home, I found myself driving towards Liam's house. 

Though Liam and I weren't related by blood, I still thought of him like my brother. There was something about Liam's personality that made me know it was okay to go to him for advice. He knew better than to ask too many questions and simply let me go there to get away from whatever it was that was making me uncomfortable.  

~

"Hey, Harry," he said as soon as he opened the door.

I didn't answer, which confirmed Liam's guess that I was either upset or deep in thought. It stunned me about how he could tell that, seeing as I myself couldn't tell how I was feeling most of the time. He gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me up to his room, remaining silent and giving me nothing but a soft smile as he led me away.

"Okay, what's wrong now?" he asked as soon as we both were sat on his bed. His tone was light but I knew that he was being serious.

"I told Niall about what happened," I told him, my eyes falling closed as I let out a defeated sigh.

"I don't understand the problem. Is that a bad thing? Did he react badly?" I shook my head. "So it's good? He doesn't think badly of you. If he was disgusted or scared of you, he would have made that clear."

"It's not just that, Liam. You're the only person I've told and that was extremely difficult as it was. But Niall's different, it hurts me to think of him being scared of me. Now he knows things about me and I don't know how I feel about it."

He shot me a look, which I ignored.

"I've known you for a long time and I trust that you will accept me but I had no idea how Niall would take it. I didn't even tell him the details and I'm freaking out. Besides you, I haven't properly cared about someone until Niall and I'm fucking scared he's going to hate me because there's something wrong with me," I sighed.

"Really? Did you seriously think Niall will think badly of you? Niall is one of the sweetest and most understanding people I've ever met. There's nothing wrong with you, Harry. Calm down. You're getting worked up."

"He's too fucking good for me! Just because he won't be disgusted with me, it doesn't make it right. He fucking should be scared of me. I'm fucked up," I hissed, standing up from Liam's bed in frustration.

"Harry--"

"Shut up, Liam. You telling me that everything's fine isn't helping. It's not fucking fine. You have no idea how many times I wished that my childhood was different because maybe things would be different for me now. Maybe I could actually get closer to Niall without having the fear of scaring him off and making him leave me, just like she did."