23.

Harry's POV

After leaving Liam's house, I drove back home, prepared for mum to ask me questions as soon as I entered. I wanted to prolong the inevitable conversation for as long as possible but I knew I had to do it eventually, so perhaps it was better if I got it over with.

The drive seemed so much quicker than what I was used to, and much like when I had brought Niall over, I knew it was because I was dreading what was going to happen when I arrived there.

I eventually pulled up outside of my house, much quicker than what I would have liked to. I exited my car, walking up the drive and to the front door. Mum was nowhere to be seen but I could hear noises coming from another room, which proved that she was still there.

I thought that I could avoid conversation by walking up to my room before she had the opportunity to question me, which would be a dumb idea since I would eventually have to see her. Even if I wanted to get away, I was unable to, as I heard her voice behind me.

"Harry?" she called out as soon as she realised that I was home.

I let out a sigh and turned around to face her. I knew exactly what she was going to say and I had to push away the temptation to avoid her.

"Yeah?"

"Niall seems lovely," she began, her voice soft and a gentle smile on her face. 

Regardless of how I was feeling, I couldn't help but wholeheartedly agree with her. 

"I guess," I murmured, trying to appear as careless as I possibly could. I could admit my feelings about Niall to Liam, but I didn't exactly want my mother to know anything. 

"Do you like him?" she asked, staring at me with a knowing look, almost as if she already knew the answer.

I had no idea what to say to her. Sure, she wasn't my father but I had no idea if she would accept me or not. What if she ended up hating me for it?

"No," I muttered, perhaps a little too quickly because she didn't seem to believe me. "I don't fucking like him, okay?" I hissed, pushing past her and towards my room.

~

I didn't know how I ended up leaving my bedroom and arriving at some random party, I just did. Everyone there was already pissed drunk, much like how I would be after a little while. The music was deafeningly loud as I was able to hear it from several blocks away. I could feel girls immediately stare at me lustfully when I walked in but I pushed past them and headed over to the alcohol.

Soon enough, I was completely smashed. I could barely see anything. The room was dark to begin with but the alcohol in my system made everything appear cloudy, though did nothing to fade the thoughts of Niall from my brain.

If anything, the countless drinks I had consumed seemed to make his crystal blue eyes so much clearer in my mind.

"Hey," I heard a seductive voice call from behind me.

I turned around to see a tall girl, staring at me with a look of hunger in her eyes. She had thick, strawberry blonde hair and her eyes were a shockingly bright shade of blue. She was pale, almost as pale as Niall.

Though she may be rather beautiful, she didn't exactly spark my interest. What did attract me were her bright blue eyes, but even then it wasn't because they were her ones. The shade of blue was strikingly similar to Niall's.