18.

Harry's POV

I didn't know why but I was rather excited for this next appointment. It seemed as though every time Niall and I had an appointment, I felt less and less uncomfortable with the idea of it. I never thought that I would feel this way about something like this. 

I drove down the street, turning into the empty one in which I usually met Niall. A small part of me felt guilty at the fact that I made Niall hide in the street but the thought of people seeing what was happening made me push that aside.

I pulled up in front of where Niall was standing. He was leaning against the wall, shivering slightly at the cold weather. I half expected him to greet me with his usual smile but his eyes were narrowed in a glare as soon as we made eye contact. I could only assume that he was in one of his moods.

"Where the fuck were you?" he hissed, opening the door and getting into the front seat. I had obviously experienced a lot of his mood swings already, so I wasn't fazed by his hostility. Though I still wasn't quite used to the way he spoke to me without seeming the least bit intimidated.

"I was only two minutes late. Sorry, babe," I bit my lip as soon as the pet name left my mouth. I didn't know what possessed me to call him that but I did know that I liked the way he reacted. As soon as he realised what I said, he looked at his lap, avoiding my face but I could still notice the blush that coated his face.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you," he mumbled, lifting his gaze up to meet my eyes.

I glanced at him, noticing that he looked incredibly guilty, as if he had just done something almost unforgivable. It was rather cute. 

What was wrong with me?

Why was I taking this so well?

If anyone else were to speak to me that way, I would have definitely kicked their arses. Niall shouldn't be any different. But he was. And I didn't care. 

~

We went through the same procedure that we usually did. We were sat in the usual room with Dr. James, who as usual, spoke mainly to Niall about whatever was happening with him. I would usually zone out, not even caring what Niall was saying. This time was different and I found myself hanging onto every word that left his mouth.

"How are you doing, Harry?" she asked, turning to me. It wasn't unusual for her to ask me how I was feeling, regardless of the fact that I never properly responded. I knew that she probably dealt with people like me all the time, considering it wasn't exactly uncommon for people reacting negatively to being a parent. 

"I'm doing okay," I muttered softly.

I could feel Niall's bright blue eyes on me but I didn't meet them, knowing that I wouldn't be able to pull away. His eyes were too captivating. I knew that if I stared too long, I would get attached and there was no need for that. I wasn't someone who should be near Niall more than necessary.

"So, we'll be able to determine the gender soon. Do you want to know?" she questioned, looking between the two of us.

After hearing these words, Niall looked at me again, this time I looked back. We were both silent for a few seconds, before Niall turned back to Dr James.

"We aren't sure yet. I think we should talk about it first."

~

Soon enough, we had finished and Niall and I were back in my car. Neither of us had brought up the gender topic. 

"What do you want to do?" he finally asked me, his voice coming out soft and rather hesitant.

He was staring at his stomach, looking fondly at the growing bump. Niall, regardless of his bad feelings at the beginning of this, had clearly changed his mind pretty quickly. I was getting there, rather slowly but I was changing. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.