Chapter 19

(Amber's POV)

I wonder if something is up, Olivia just has been acting differently today, but that might just be me. Earlier today when I asked her for a pencil, she went to grab one, but the teacher needed her she told me I could grab one. It seems like no big deal but when I went to grab a pencil from her backpack, I found a bunch of tape in there. I wonder why she had so much tape in her backpack. I showed Gavin and Jackson how much tape was in there, they told me to take it out, but when I did the roll of tape was still attached. It left us wondering how it happened. I saw that the teacher was done talking to Olivia, so I quickly grabbed a pencil and acted like I saw nothing. I asked her what she needed. She just said that he needed her help with something.

Later this afternoon during geography, we were drawing maps and I noticed that Olivia couldn't open her pencil case. I don't know why she was struggling. It looked easy to open.

"Do you need help?" I asked.

"Sure," she said. She handed me the case. I tried to open it, but it remained shut. This was harder than I thought. I tried to get Gavin to open it.

"Here," I showed them the case. "Can you open it?"

"Sure," Gavin said, taking it from me. He also couldn't open it. "Is this glued shut?" he asked

"I don't think so," Olivia responded, "I used it this morning." Jackson returned from getting something.

"Here open this," Gavin said, handing over the case.

"Why?" he asked.

"Just open it," Gavin said. Jackson took the case and tried to open it, but like the rest of us he failed. I figured something had happened to the opening causing it to be stuck. Oilvia agreed with me.

"No," Gavin said, once I said what probably happened. "You're wrong, the case is probably alive and doesn't want people to open it."

"That's ridiculous," Jackson said. "The case can't be alive. It's impossible"

"Maybe it is but it could still happen," Gavin said.

"Probably not," I said. Olivia just said nothing. That normally wasn't like her. Did something we say bother her?