Chapter ten

*Recap

"Matchmaking!" We all yelled together. We started to scheme and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see a tall, muscular guy standing there. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Can I help you?" I asked wearily.

"Our Alpha needs to have a word with you." Then he turned and walked away. *

"Well that was cryptic."I mumbled as I watched the random guy's retreating figure. Oh well. I turned around to see the rest of my table-mates staring at me. "What?" I asked while grabbing a fry off of Danny's tray. He seemed to be the only one that wasn't reacting to the random messenger dude. Besides me of course.

"The alpha that could possibly kick you out of the territory just requested a meeting where the outcome could be that you are killed and you say 'WHAT'!" Ariel practically screamed at me. Let me just tell you... Ow! That girl can out scream a banshee and I have a feeling she wasn't screaming her loudest. Poor Garret!

"Yes. I have a plan." I stated simply. Ariel looked skeptical. "Now hush or people will stare more." That seemed to calm her down as she looked around and her face reddened slightly.

"And what, pray tell, might that plan be." She said sarcastically. I looked around dramatically and motioned for everyone to lean forward. Then I took a deep breath like I was about to reveal some huge secret and all but Danny leaned in with wide eyes. As usual, he seemed to know what I was thinking

"I am going to do," I started then paused for dramatic effect, "nothing!" I leaned back and enjoyed the confused looks and scrunched up eyebrows. 

"Umm," Joe intellectually began, "what?" the others nodded in agreement.

"I am going to avoid their alpha for as long as possible. I'm not going to this meeting, I'm not going to any future meetings, and I'm not going to acknowledge him in any way. No conflict between the two parties should mean I can stay." I gave my reasoning and happily returned to munching on my lovely cafeteria hamburger. By lovely, I so dry you can't eat it until it is saturated in ketchup. Devin shook his head at my logic

"If I know my cousin like I think I do, I know he will not like that at all." Devin shared a look with Vanna who nodded in agreement. I cocked my head to the side in realization.

"Oh yeah, I remember you said alpha what's his name is your cousin!" I'm actually proud of myself for remembering that detail. "I've been meaning to ask about that. Since you are related to the alpha family, you should be if a higher rank. Definitely not an omega. What happened?" I let my question hang and watched Devin's face darken. Vanna put a comforting arm around him and the other three shifted uncomfortably. 

"Devin is the rightful beta," Joe said angrily after a moment of silence, "but he can't assume his position due to a certain asshole sitting right over there." He had been surprisingly quiet this whole time and I was shocked by the disgust and outrage in his voice as he gestured across the cafeteria. I followed where his finger was pointed, but turned back quickly and slapped my hand over my eyes.

"Oh my poor innocent eyes!" I wailed. Aaron and April were practically eating each other's faces at their table. "My gosh people! It's called being respectful of your surrounding! I mean seriously who does that! There are freshmen who look ready to puke!" Laughter erupted from my table causing others to look our way before quickly turning back

"So what does Aaron have to do with this?" I asked Devin. His eyes turned hard and clouded over like he was remembering something bad. Vanna grabbed his hand and he squeezed it in response. When he was silent for a few seconds, she began to talk.

"About a year ago, rogues attacked our borders. There was a fight and Devin got hurt. A few fractured ribs, multiple lacerations, and broken tibia. Aaron, being the jerk he is, took advantage and challenged him for his Beta position-" Devin cut her off there.