Chapter thirteen

The chapter is dedicated to @blue_frazzel_ for becoming my 100th fan!! Thank you!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chapter thirteen

'Once we were driving away, Danny spoke.

"So what the hell happened?" I looked out the window. A pain formed in my chest the farther we drove.

"I found my mate."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Rosa's P.O.V.*

My comment was followed by a shocked silence.

"But that's a good thing, isn't it?" Vanna asked. I looked around at the various emotions on people's faces. All were confused aside from Danny who looked sad, understanding, and slightly angry for some reason. I sighed as I leaned back into the seat to watch the trees speed by. They don't understand and I didn't have my thoughts together well enough to explain. This was going to be a long night.

"It's not that simple for me. I can't have a a mate." I broke the silence after a few moments, my voice sounding strained. Danny shot everyone a look that plainly said "don't ask questions" and the car was silent, which is exactly what I needed at that moment. 

Ten or so minutes later, the car pulled up to my house and everyone got out to start towards the front door. A sudden shiver passed through me chilling me to the bone despite the warm air outside. I rubbed my arms to try and warm myself but it didn't get any better. The chill was coming from within my chest, a side effect of being separated from mate. There seemed to be a constant whining in my head causing a headache to form and progressively worsen.

I walked into living room and sat down in the love seat. Danny sat next to me to put a comforting arm around my shoulders. Everyone looked at me expectantly after they took their seats. I  gestured to Ariel who looked like she was about to bust.

"I am so confused. Why can't you have a mate?" Everyone nodded, they were wondering the same thing. Instead of answering her directly, I turned to Danny.

"Do you remember the day we got separated?" I asked him. He nodded yes and I started my story.

*Flashback*

"Danny! I found them!" I said, holding up the plant we had been looking for. My mom needed it for a potion she was making.

"Yay! Now we can go home and eat!" I laughed and Danny rubbed his stomach. I swear all boys think with their stomach. We laughed and joked as we walked toward the path that led back to our camp. We were just getting on the path when a high pitched howl rang through the woods. Danny and I looked at each other, eyes wide with panic. Then we bolted toward the sound.

Danny was ahead of me by about ten feet and got into the clearing first. He looked around quickly before turning back to me.

"Rosa, run!" He yelled, but it was too late. I already saw them and they saw me.

There were two huge wolves standing in the middle of our camp. Danny's dad was passed out in the corner. His face looked bruised, like he had been backhanded or thrown into a tree. Judging from the chunk missing from a tree near him, I guessed the latter was correct. My attention was brought back to the wolves rumbling growls as they began to advance. 

"On the count of three we run." Danny whispered lowly. I nodded, muscles clenching in anticipation. They crept closer. I felt Danny tense beside me. "One, two, THREE!" He grabbed my hand and we sprinted away from the wolves. Both of the barked and began to follow us. 

Danny and I had a bit of an advantage initially. We were smaller, more agile, and knew the woods better. Branches stung at my cheeks and grabbed on my clothes as we pushed our way through the brush. We were leaping over a log when I felt Danny's hand slip from mine. I stopped and spun on my heels.