Chapter twenty-three

"I know I asked you for a date tomorrow but you're here, I'm here, so why not? Plus I'm pretty positive I could tackle an extra large pizza by myself right now and I need a witness for bragging rights." I couldn't hold back my laugh at that one. Boys always have one thing on their mind, food.

"Well I would love to be that witness," I grinned, "but only if I get to have a couple slices of my own." He beamed at me as he stood up then held out his to me.

'Yeah,' I thought with a dopey smile as he pulled me out the door, 'this could definitely work.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We walked side by side to a nearby pizza place Collin recommended. We made comfortable small talk on the way which was a welcomed change of pace from the last week. His hand brushed mine a few times and I could tell he was holding back grabbing it. This both pleased and frustrated me. He was respecting my boundaries but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to hold my hand. The attraction was undeniable and I could feel the urge to get closer growing. I was saved from potential embarrassment when we reached the restaurant. 

"Paul's Pizzeria. Owned and operated by the Nelson family since 1915." I read off the sign on the window. "Impressive. How long has your pack been here?"

Collin hummed in thought for a moment.

"My family has ran the pack for roughly a hundred years but mythicals have lived on this land for much longer." Collin explained as he opened the door for me. "Before my great-grandfather took over, there were all sorts of species intermingled. The town was a kind of safe haven for everyone and they all lived in relative harmony. Councils met at what is now our pack house."

Well that was interesting and actually sounded very nice. A safe, neutral zone to settle the unrest between creatures. I opened my mouth to ask more questions but was cut off by an older man in a black and white checkered apron. 

"Collin!" The man boomed, "To what do I owe the pleasure of having the Alpha-to-be in my humble restaurant?" He grinned as Collin rolled his eyes. His white teeth shown brilliantly against his dark skin. 

"Good to see you too, Brock. It's been too long." Collin eyed the pizza oven with longing, making me giggle. The chef turned his eyes to me and smiled even more if that was possible.

"And who might this lovely lady be?" he turned to me and mock-bowed. "Brock Nelson, at your service. Proud owner of the best pizza place in the Potentia territory." I curtsied back in an equally joking manner.

"Rosalyn Bradley, pleasure to make your acquaintance." I put on a posh accent just for fun. I could tell it was terrible by the way Collin was holding back a laugh. He disguised it as a cough when I lightly slapped the back of his head. 

"Well Miss Bradley, allow me to escort you two to your seats. Hey, Marie! Can I get two menus to table seven, please?" He called out as he lead us to a nice booth next to a window where the hustle and bustle of the town could be observed peacefully.

A young teen with tight black curls and a big smile came over to the table with a couple of menus. She looked exactly like Brock so I assumed she was his daughter.

"How's it going, pipsqueak?" Collin stood up to give her a hug, "Still keeping your old man on his toes?"

"You know it!" She said as she hugged him back, "Where have you been? It's been forever since you ate all our food!" He laughed and ruffled her hair causing her to glare and swat his hand away.

"You know me, I was with Leo training for a few months." She seemed pleased with that answer. She then turned to me with another smile to introduce herself.